• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Packing the Rudder Shaft??

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Packing the Rudder Shaft??

Post by zinbaad »

After extensive survey one of the issues was to Repack the rudder shaft. Just wondering if this is one of the jobs I might be able to do myself. Any tips would be muck welcome
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I re-packed my rudder shaft last spring, it was a piece of cake. My rudder required 3 pieces of 3/8" packing. Just remove the bolts that hold the rudder arm in place. Remove the large nut and pull out the three pieces of old packing. Cut the new pieces to the same length and put them in, just make sure that the joints do not line up, put the ends at opposite sides. Reinstall the nut and snug it down. It may be necessary to readjust after it goes in the water to stop the leaks. It took me about 30 minutes. D
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks Denis,
As we all you know anything we can learn to do by our serves can sometimes save a bunch of bucks to get out and enjoy the water just a bit more. Sounds like one of those jobs I could handle. Thanks
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Packing the Rudder Shaft??

Post by TD »

Did you do this in the water? How did you hold the SS rudder shaft from dropping down? Did yours look like the pictures I have attached? It appears that the first step is to block up the rudder under the boat, remove the the steering arm attached to steering rod, loosen setscrew bolt on collar and remove from shaft, unscrew large top nut with sleeve attached. The packing is either in the nut with sleeve removed or remains on the shaft inside the lower nut. Does anyone know if this is correct? I am assuming that the collar with setscrew is what holds the rudder shaft in place.
Thank you,
Terry
DSCN1560.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle

Return to “Albin Maintenance”