• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

yanmar oil change

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

john stout
Gold Member
Gold Member

yanmar oil change

Post by john stout »

can someone please tell what suction tool to use in order to change the oil thru the dipstick? I know there are several made, but would like some personal feedback as to the best one to buy.
Thanks,
Blue Without You
Chesapeake, Virginia
28 TE
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

<<<<<< Listening
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

John,
Good topic. Welcome to AOG and thanks for posting. Another Chesapeake boater!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

The dipstick has 3/4" male garden hose thread about a 1/2" below the top of the tube. A female garden hose fitting connected to a pump. If you check any of the online shops and search "oil change" you'll see pump, bucket, fitting packages, buy one or build your own.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: yanmar oil change

Post by jumpjet231 »

Any updates on this thread? I tried to do it thru the dipstick with a drill pump with a hot engine and it didn't work. Will a pump mounted to the 3/4 thread pull all the oil out or will a permanent one on the pan be the only option for this?
Thanks,
Whit
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

The setup I have is a Jabsco pump mounted on top of a 5 gallon bucket. The suction side of the pump has about 5ft of 1/2" hose and a 3/4" female garden hose fitting on the end. When you screw the fitting down tight on the top of the oil dipstick tube, it sucks the oil up through the tube. If the engine is warm, it does a very good job of removing all the oil. If you use a drill powered pump, the tubing will not seal against the tube so you would need to know how much tubing to insert into the dip tube to get to the bottom of the pan. The garden hose fittings works well because it seals and allows the pump vacuum to pull the oil out.

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have this setup and it works great either from the dipstick or from a hose connected right to the fitting under the oil pan. You can hear the load on the pump so it certianly takes some suction to draw the oil out, even hot. Not sure if a drill pump is strong enough for this, never used one.

With this setup you simply reverse the pump and pump the used oil into the containers for proper disposal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

I use the "Big Boy" pump. It is a 2 1/2 gal tank with a suction pump attached. It comes with a hose that fits snugly over the top of the dipstick tube. Pump the vacuum pump 40-50 times and release the clamp. It sucks the oil right out. The only drawback is that you have to empty the tank and use it a second time because it doesn't have the capacity to drain all the oil in one shot. I've been using it for 5 years and it works fine.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”