• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Airconditioner problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Airconditioner problem

Post by JoeH »

Have a 28 TE flush deck with an "Anchor" airconditioner that won't discharge sea water. Boat neighbors seem to think there's an "air block" somewhere in the system. Anybody familiar with this problem and how to fix it. Anchor is out of business, consequently I can't get any help from them.

Many thanks, :(

Joe H
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Airconditioner problem

Post by RicM »

I have a different system, but I often have to "prime" the raw water pump to get things going after the winter layup. If you pumped out the antifreeze, and you are sure the seacock is open, then you probably have an air bubble in the system. Close the seacock, open the strainer, make sure the basket is clean, fill with water from a hose and turn on the system and check to see if you have water flow. You may have to put a little water pressure into the system with the hose to get it started. If it will pump the hose water, then will not pump raw water when you close the strainer and open the seacock, then you could have an obstruction between the seacock and through hull. Weeds and jellyfish can get sucked in and clog things up.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Joe, I suddenly got an error code on mine last year. Code meant no water was being supplied. I removed the hose from the outlet side of the AC pump because it was the easiest to get to and turned the system on. Water came out so I knew I was ok from there back to the seacock. While I had the hose off, I tried a fix I once used to figure out a fuel supply problem I had on another boat, I blew into the hose as hard as I could. I got alot of resistance and then what ever was blocking the line blew through. I reconnected the hose and the systems was fine. Had to do it two more times over the next several weeks. Since then, fall last year, no more problems.
Good luck,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I have the Anchor system as well. The same problem with an "air block" has occurred twice, most recently this spring after sitting on the hard all winter. A friendly technician explained the "blowing" solution and it solved the problem.
I simply disconnected the raw water hose at the point where it dischrges from the circulating pump, blew hard into the hose, and re-connected it to the pump. I did not even close the thru hull valve, but put my thumb on the pump outlet while I was blowing. (Bear in mind that the pump outlet is below the waterline.)
The first time it happened I had to go through the routine twice before it worked. This time it took just one try!
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

To both Johns and Ric .Thanks all for your quick responses. I took your advice this afternoon and resolved my ac problem. I disconnected the hose at the discharge side of the pump, ran my dock hose against the ac hose for a few seconds, reconnected the hose to the pump and guess what it now works. However with the recent cold weather here in the Boston area who needs ac.

Again many thanks for all your help.

Joe H :D

Return to “Albin Maintenance”