• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

bottom paint

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

Any ideas on how to tell what is on my hull now? I want to put another coat on before she goes in the water and do not know what the previous owner put on it ( can't get in touch with him either). It is red and is on a 27 AC Family Cruiser.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Re: bottom paint

Post by chiefrcd »

Is it in good shape? I think most paints can be painted over if the paint is in good shape and not flaking off. I've got 7 different kinds of bottom paint on my boat. Several coats of Micon Extra, two coats of Micron 66 and a couple of real cheapies. I figure that if my fiberglass just dissolves, I'll have a hull made from anti-fouling paint.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The only caveat I have heard of is you cannot put non-ablative paints over ablative. If it were mine I would use ablative anyway and you will not have a problem.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

You shouldn't paint over ablative paint because it's made to wear off over time & contact, meaning it does not provide a solid base for new, different paint to hold onto. You can usually tell if it's an ablative by hauling, letting it dry, and then rubbing your had over it. If your hand is red with chalky loose paint, it's probably ablative. Usually ablative is put over a different color so you can see when it's wearing through.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”