• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 6BTA oil?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cummins 6BTA oil?

Post by Bigsteve51 »

I just purchased a 1997 28TE with the Cummins 6 BTA 5.9 engine and i have no engine info. I was wondering what type of oil to use and the quantity? I would like to change the oil and filters but need this info. I also need to find out the Gearbox / Transmission oil type and quantity.

Any help anybody can offer would be appreciated..
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Cummins 6BTA oil?

Post by Pitou »

Welcome to the AOG BigSteve. There are only a handful of us on this board with the Cummins 6BTA 5 (5.9). Try to get your hands on an Operation and Maintenance Manual for the Marine B/C Series from Cummins.

Oil Capacity : 15 US Qts. for a dry oil pan (+) filter capacity. Total Capacity dry : 16 US Qts. (I drain from the dipstick and get pretty close ... 15 1/2 Qts + including filter).
Low to High mark on dipstick is 1 qt.
Viscosity : 15W - 40 (I run Shell Rotella T)

You did not mention your transmission information. I'm sure you will find a tag on it with Model, Ratio & Serial #'s.

I have the ZF Hurth 800V1 which holds 7.4 US Qts. There is a long list of ATF compatible fluids. The ZF filter # is 3312199031.
The capacities and filters are all very different for each of the ZF's. For support call their main US center in Ft. Lauderdale 954-581-4040.

This info should give you a good jump.

Enjoy!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 was developed by Cummins for the B and C series engines. That is stated in the 6BTA owner's manual.
I used that exclusively in the new marine 6BTA I had installed in my Mainship.
That said I always used Rotella 15-40 in my truck Cummins.
Any diesel rated 15-40 will suffice.
Enjoy.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bigsteve51 »

Thanks to all for the info. I received the engine manual from the previous owner and all the info is there along with a good maintenance schedule. Once again thanks for the responses.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”