• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Veebyes survives a horrific accident

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Veebyes survives a horrific accident

Post by Mariner »

Yesterday I received a PM from Veebyes2 informing me that he would not be able to make it up to the northwest to visit this summer. He had been planning to spend a night in our area while passing through Western Washington. However, it seems that their 5th wheel trailer was blown over by a wind gust on the highway somewhere in Wyoming. The trailer was ripped from the truck and was completely destroyed. Fortunately Doug and his wife are ok, though I would presume a little shaken. They are presently hanging out in Cheyenne, WY waiting for the truck to be repaired and waiting to determine whether they can procure a new trailer and coninue their cross-country trip, or whether they will just go home.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Veebyes survives a horrific accident

Post by jcollins »

Awful news! Glad to hear they are o.k.
I know Maryland is his home base. Let him know to call me if there is anything I can do.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Hello, I'm still with you all. We are doing all the necessary to get this behind us. What a load of paperwork!!!!!

We are holed up in Cheyenne right now. Truck goes into the shop tomorrow, about $10K worth of damages. 6 days to repair.

Meanwhile, the hunt is on for a replacement trailer. Our Alpenlite, IMO, was in the RV world similar to an Albin maybe even a Sabre. Most definetly NOT a mid market high production model. It was plush right down to the side by side fridge, sleep number bed, big solar panel charger, 2KW inverter, 6 X 6V batteries etc.etc.

From here we are thinking keep going west. We have only found 2 trailers of our model, 1 in ID & the other in MT. By the time the truck is repaired we should have our check for the trailer. I'm sure anyone with a trailer to sell will be motivated by cash & a truck ready to tow it away.

So, Mariner, we may just get to the W coast after all. We will just have to see what happens in the next week or so.

Here is a 'before' shot.

Just after the crash. Managed to keep truck on the hwy.

These things don't basically stay together like boats

What the trailer did as it rolled off the truck

State Trooper estimates the trailer did at least 2 full barrel rolls going down the embankment
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

Veebyes,
Scary photos! Must have been a terrifying incident. Glad to hear you are OK. Maybe stick to boats from now on.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Glad you are okay. I wonder if that were a tow-behind instead of a 5th wheel if it would have taken the truck with it?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Tow behinds/travel trailers are far less stable than a 5th wheel. that is one of the reasons we chose a 5th wheel.

We took, what I estimate to be a 60kt plus sustained gust of wind broadside. As boaters, we perhaps better understand what windage is compared to your average road warrior. The trailer side had the windage of at least 6 sheets of plywood. The kingpin tore out of the hitch & we are very glad that it did otherwise it would have taken the truck with it. Also, thank God for dual rear wheels. That truck & failure of the hitch, as designed to do or not, saved us from serious injury, or worse.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

That was pretty much my point. A tow-behind with chains, wght distr. bars, etc would not have "let go" the way that king pin did. I guess your camera & laptop were in the pickup :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That was a nice looking rig. I especially like the truck. I'm glad you guys came out of it ok. Any update?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Still here. Still homeless........well, for a few more days.

We thought we had a strong lead on a trailer near Portland & set off from Cheyenne to get it last Thursday only to have it sold while we were on the the road. We got as far as Ogden, UT. Not much else westward that appealed to us so we turned around & headed east figuring we would find something between UT & MD.

Just as we Albin owners are very devoted to our models of Albins we are very specific on which 5th wheel to buy. There are only 4 possibilitys out of hundreds of models.

Luck has finally changed. Insurance $$$ has been processed quickly, special thanks to a Wells Fargo bank in Cheyenne. We stumbled upon a late 07 carry over same model as the one we lost, but without all the options, ours was LOADED. This one is in Denver.

We take delivery tomorrow or Fri. After that...???? Unfortunately it looks like making it to the west coast is out this time. We were really looking forward to seeing what it is like to float on the Pacific with Mariner. Another year.

First we need a few nights not far from a Lowes & Wally World to get the forgotten stuff in fitting out, then go on a shakedown trip most likely staying in CO & UT. Need to be back here in Boulder, CO by 7/4 weekend to visit friends.

For those wondering how the 'other' half lives, here are a few pics inside the new one. They all look the same outside.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Glad to hear that things are finally working out. You are devoted. I have to give you credit for that. :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

That is really a nice trailer. I had no idea they were so nice on the inside. What are the four models that you like? I do not know much about travel trailers but thought that a small diesel powered self contained model would be good. But with this you can disconnect the trailer and use the truck for day trips.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “General Discussion”