• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dead Refrigerator?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Dead Refrigerator?

Post by jcollins »

I stopped at the mairna yesterday to check the boat. The breaker for the refrigerator was off. I turned it on and after 30 seconds or so it flipped back off. I tried a couple of more times and it just trips the breaker. When I turn it on I do not hear the normal compressor sound. It does make a sound like something it trying to start but the breaker does it's job and turns off.
So. Is there anything to check or is this a goner?

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Dead Refrigerator?

Post by jleonard »

John,
I have no idea, but if you need to borrow a pistol to put it out of it's misery let me know. :roll:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Sounds like compressor/compressor motor. Mine works on both AC when on dock power, and DC when off. You may want to see if it does the same thing in both situations. As far as I know the only moving parts are the comp & motor.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This one is DC only. When I turn it on, there is a faint whine, then it trips the breaker. The question, for me, is replacing the compressor a EASY DIY project? If I have a "pro" do the work it will cost almost as much as a new one. Pricing seems to be 600-800 for a DC only model.

JLeonard - That sounds like a good solution. :lol:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Sounds like its time to buy a new one that goes "both ways". AC/DC
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I agree with buying new one. The compressor is probably locked and is a hermetically sealed unit. It could be the fan failed first but since the compressor does not run its time for R&R. I assume you have at least 12V to the unit. Good luck.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:.... I turned it on and after 30 seconds or so it flipped back off. I tried a couple of more times and it just trips the breaker....
Try a heavier breaker... :lol:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

And a fire extinguisher :twisted:
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I had almost the exact thing happen, although my former refrigerator was "2-way."

I believe the OEM refrigerator (at least on the 36 ET) was a Norcold. After research, I learned that these have a short life span. I also learned that it costs almost exactly as much to purchase and install the "guts" of the Norcold as it does to buy a new one.

Further research led to us install a Dometic unit (also marketed as Tundra). The cost was less than $100 more to do this than to repair the Norcold, and that way I don't still have a Norcold. The new one works really well and it is much quieter than the old one. It is also a little bigger, even though it uses the same cutout.

The biggest challenge was removing the Norcold. It seems that the referigerator was installed before the cabin sole, so there was a lip in the front which made sliding it out impossible. The choice was to remove the sole, or demolish the Norcold in place. We chose the latter procedure. Using a Sawzall to do this works well. Shooting the refrigerator first is strictly optional.

As to whether to go "DC only," or "two way", we chose "DC only". We are in the Pacific Northwest, and we rarely, if ever, need air conditioning. Therefor, we don't need a generator. So, my goal is to be a DC boat as much as is feasible. It just keeps things simple. We have plenty of batteries with lots of storage capability in three separate banks. When we are at the dock, the charger keeps everything charged up via shore power, when we are underway, the charger also keeps everything charged via the alternator, and when we are on the hook we have about 400+ amp hours to run the house, including the refrigerator. Who wants to listen to a generator? Just my opinion. I'm sure I would feel much differently if I needed A/C.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”