• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water Heater Replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water Heater Replacement

Post by RicM »

Has anyone replaced the water heater in a 28TE? I am interested in the problems of removing the old one. Does it fit through the opening in front of the helm seat? What did you replace it with? I'm looking at a smaller, round tank that will be easy to install (we don't use a lot of hot water).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Water Heater Replacement

Post by RobS »

Ric,

I have not removed my water heater. However, I had the hatch in front of the starboard helm seat open when mounting my AP pump. I remember removing the hatch and looking at the water heater and saying "Well that should come right out if ever needed" Here's some pics I took when doing the pump - not the greatest shots but I think it shows you enough to indicate that the water heater should come out without issue (if there is such a concept involving boats!)

You should get a a fitting with hose barbs on both ends so you can close the engine cooling loop and isolate it from the water heater. This way the engine is operational during your water heater project. Do the same with the domestic water lines to the water heater and then your fresh water (cold only, of course) will be operation as well. This will allow you the time to pull out the old heater, and clean, dry, prep, etc. the area for the new water heater with no boating downtime. With the old one out you will be in a better position to measure the space for the fit of a new heater.

The small section of hose with threaded fittings you make up to jump the domestic water lines will be saved and will be what you use for the winterization each year to bypass the water heater when you drain it.

Any questions, give me a buzz, you have the number......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pkdiver
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brookings, Oregon

Post by pkdiver »

Rob,
What is an AP pump?
Thanks,
Pete
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Auto Pilot pump.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Ric,

Here's the small section of hose with threaded fittings I use to jump the domestic water lines. Do you have hot water yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Hey Rob,

No I have not started the hot water project. We really only use it on cruising trips, the first of which will probably be the Rendezvous this year, so it's not at the top of my list. I am still doing cosmetic buffing on the cabin. I had lot's of mildew (little black spots) on the exterior surfaces. I taped the shrink wrap to the rub rails this past winter, for easier access to the hull for spring polishing and although I did put several vents in, there were apparently not enough. My boat was also in the shadow of a large boat shed so the port side was never touched by the sun, and that's where all the mildew is. It's not awful, just not pretty. I also have some mech work coming up, hoses and the mixing elbow are due for replacement (500 Hours) so my mechanic is waiting for the parts to get that done and lyme flush the heat exchanger. I will probably get out this weekend close to home (unless Mr. Diesel shows up on Saturday). The pic of the 4 of us in Boston just flashed by in the slide show above, and it really made me appreciate summertime again!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:Ric,

Here's the small section of hose with threaded fittings I use to jump the domestic water lines.
Another way to bypass the hot water tank is to disconnect the cold water pex (blue) going into the hot h2o tank and connect to the outflow (orange). This will enable the domestic hot water lines to be flushed with the pink stuff and save some $$$ by not passing it through the hot h2o tank. The quick disconnect elbows make this option quick and easy. Some prefer to install a bypass kit, but this method, as yours Rob, is just as effective. Remember to just drain the tank and leave the valve open for winter layup. ...... just another option which utilizes the existing plumbing without additions.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Thanks Kevin. I did not realize how easy it was to pop the pex connectors on and off. I currently have it bypassed by removing 1 elbow and short length of pex and just plugging it into the other side. If I's known it was that easy I wouldn't be replacing the damn heater now!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:
the mixing elbow
Now there's an item for discussion. I have never heard more variations on a mechanical item in all my gear-head years of wrenching on things. If it were'nt so pricey I'd a replaced it already too, although I have had experienced advice saying otherwise. Can I have yours? - it's 2-3 years newer than mine :D Probably do it next year, this year was electronics, so next year's plan does not include any costly components (yet)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”