• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Marina Fire - Portsmouth RI (NE Boatworks)

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Marina Fire - Portsmouth RI (NE Boatworks)

Post by JackK »

Just heard on the radio that there is a 4 alarm fire raging on Lagoon Rd. in Portsmouth, RI.
There are a couple of marinas in that area but a friend called to say it was NE Boatworks. Appears one of the large storage sheds is involved at this point. I'll post more as I hear it.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/ ... uth/12721/

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Marina Fire - Portsmouth RI (NE Boatworks)

Post by jcollins »

JackK wrote:Just heard on the radio that there is a 4 alarm fire raging on Lagoon Rd. in Portsmouth, RI.
There are a couple of marinas in that area but a friend called to say it was NE Boatworks. Appears one of the large storage sheds is involved at this point. I'll post more as I hear it.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/ ... uth/12721/

Jack
I'm always concerned about that. I've seen pictures and video of Mariner's marina fire where he lost his boat. AND...I have a neighbor in my marina that doesn't use blowers when he starts his boat with twin Chrysler gas engines.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

According to the report below, no boats were destroyed in the blaze.

Jack
NBC 10 News
Published: April 23, 2009

PORTSMOUTH, R.I.—A four-alarm blaze broke out early Thursday at a Rhode Island boat yard, causing heavy damage and exposing more than a half-dozen firefighters to cyanide gas, officials said.

Seven firefighters were screened at a hospital for cyanide exposure and then released, said Portsmouth Fire Chief Jeffrey Lynch. Two other firefighters suffered leg injuries, and a utility employee was treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire broke out around dawn Thursday at New England Boatworks, which employs about 100 people and builds custom racing and leisure yachts as well as more modest fishing vessels. Workers at adjacent businesses were also kept away from the area.

“When companies arrived, right off the bat they had fire through the roof,“ Lynch said.

White smoke was visible for miles. Flames were contained late Thursday morning, but Lynch said it would take several more hours to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters initially had trouble getting water to fight the blaze, which included a broken hydrant.

“I was able to rely on marine companies from East Providence, Providence and Cranston for a water supply. That was the key,“ Lynch said.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

Four Quonset huts suffered heavy damage, including one in which the roof collapsed.

“We’re going to try to get everybody back to work as quickly as possible,“ said office manager Dona Walsh.

About 450 to 550 boats are either docked there or stored on land. None appeared to be damaged.

The Associated Press contributed to this report
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I have a neighbor in my marina that doesn't use blowers when he starts his boat with twin Chrysler gas engines.
Most boat fires are not caused by bilge explosions, but electrical malfunctions of one type or another, especially refrigerators. Alcohol stoves, which are increasingly rare, were another big one. That, or the classic "cigarette in the cushions" that is also the cause of about 80% of house fires. Bilge explosions due to contained fumes alone don't often result in fires unless a large amount of free fuel is spilled. While your neighbor may blow the hatches off and singe his hair should an explosion occur, it's pretty unlikely (though not impossible) that that he would burn your boat too. We have had two homes destroyed by natural gas explosions here in SE New England in the past few years. The house don't burn, they just explode.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yes, low temperature, high impact explosions usually extinguish whatever flames may occur by consuming all the oxygen in the immediate area. More commonly, the problem is an electrical short on an unfused circuit, or an unattended ignition source (like a cigarette or pilot light).
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

While your neighbor may blow the hatches off and
With my luck the hatch will come down on my boat. :lol: (better than body parts, I suppose)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”