• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shakedown cruise 2009

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Shakedown cruise 2009

Post by jcollins »

It's always been our tradition that Sharon (the admiral) and I take the first cruise together. We didn't make it out last weekend and the weather was bad during the week so yesterday was our first chance to get out together.
I always spend the first 1/2 hour or so on the creek near the marina just in case something is not right. I'm just being over cautious. There has never been a problem.
We ventured out to the Bay and then into the Gunpowder river. Since most of the land is owned by Aberdeen Proving Grounds there is no overcrowding of homes like it is on Middle River. Nice scenery and a nice wide river. We cruised to Maxwell point and then into Dundee creek where our property is. We couldn't get in to Dundee since it was an unusually low tide. I also found that some of the sand bars were further into the river than last year. Thank God for the skeg. We bumped a couple of times. The bottom is forgiving there with just sand/muck. No damage to anything other than my ego. Dropped anchor and had a great lunch, enjoyed the company of our guests, and let the dogs swim. Then back out to the Bay, cruised past Hart-Miller island, then returned to Seneca.
Cell phones off. Computers off.

A good time was had by all and the season has officially started.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Shakedown cruise 2009

Post by furball »

Sounds like we missed you by a day. Sara and I headed up to Hart-Miller Island to meet some friends this morning. We arrived a bit ahead of schedule so we figured we cruise up to Seneca Creek. Saw "Afterglow" at the dock but no John or Sharon in sight. Sorry we missed you, maybe next time, it was a beautiful day on the water.
The tides were low and again today. Coming through the cut below Hart-Miller this morning at high tide, had a shallowest reading in the channel of 3.8 feet. I touch between 3.2 and 3.4. On the way back out, I saw an incoming boat who was having trouble in the channel so I turned around and took a nice ride around the island. Careful on the way out. Very shallow between the last 2 green day marks.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John,
Sorry I missed you. I didn't make it to the marina until 11:00 or so today. Today was nicer than yesterday. I cruised through Hart-Miller around 2:00 today. I stayed outside the 6 MPH marker.
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: it was an unusually low tide. I also found that some of the sand bars were further into the river than last year.
Ridiculous low tides up here too. I can't get in/out at dead low. :(

Good new is my new sounder and thru-hull ducer works awesome and can read 3 ft of water at 22 knots :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Good new is my new sounder and thru-hull ducer works awesome and can read 3 ft of water at 22 knots
Now if we can only get the forward looking depth sounders. It went from 5 feet to 2.8 in one boat length. I was going about 12 knots at the time. That took some of the new bottom paint off.
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Major bummer. The thing I hate the most about the 28 TE has turned around and bit me. Finally got in the water MONDAY after a beautiful weekend in the parking lot. I started to flush out the water system and low and behold, the water heater is pooped! I swear I pumped about 5 gallons of pink into it, but that was apparently not enough.

I would now like to hear from anyone who has replaced the water heater in the 28TE (engine box). What make, model did you use to replace it with? How was the change? Are you happy with it?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Ric,
Doesn't heat with the engine running either? Are you sure you didn't close a valve somewhere during winter lay-up? And...lastly...the stupid question...is the breaker on and working? (sorry..had to ask)

Look around for posts from an old member TomcatRio. He went through changing the water heater. Not fun.
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

John,
My diagnosis is based on gallons of diluted pink stuff running out the bottom of the water heater into the bilge when I turned the fresh water pump on. I'm looking at several smaller heaters (5gal) that should be easier to install with connections facing port rather than aft. We don't really use the hot water much, but it is a nice convenience when the occaision does arise. I just hope the vacu-flush didn't freeze up also.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Sorry to hear of your troubles Ric.

Not that it will help you today but you may consider making up a bi-pass for your "new" water heater. I had the dealer do all of the winterizing the first year and they told me to drain the hot water heater completely rather than trying to fill with anti-freeze. I use a short segment of hose to remove the water heater from the loop so that I can pump anti-freeze to all of the other piping. We used to do the same thing with our camper so it made sense to me. This way even if there is a little bit of water left in the bottom of the heater the outlet are open for it to drain and there is plenty of room for it to expand without cracking the tank.

At least this won't keep you from fishing !!

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I use a short segment of hose to remove the water heater from the loop so that I can pump anti-freeze to all of the other piping.
That is also how I winterize. Drain and bypass.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Yes, mi amigo Dave has just finished a complete redo of the fresh water system in his Egg Harbor (1965) and is wise in the ways of Pex. I am looking at a small Isotherm 5 Gal
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... 006629.jpg
That should fit in easily in the space and is round so all water will drain out easily. We will install with a built in bypass circuit & valves so it will be easy to winterize next time.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:
I use a short segment of hose to remove the water heater from the loop so that I can pump anti-freeze to all of the other piping.
That is also how I winterize. Drain and bypass.
Same here.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Ric, When you winterized the domestic water did you first drain the water heater and then fill with pink or did you just run the hot water until a good pink colored water was coming out?
Last edited by RobS on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The latter. Actually I ran the hot water until it was pumping air, then put about 5 gallons of pink in the water tank and pumped until pink came out the faucets.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

So you didn't drain it out of water first?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”