• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

water spots

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

water spots

Post by saltshaker28 »

I compounded my hull today I used 3m super duty on it came out shinny and got rid of the oxidation but I can not seem to get the water spots out I used a orange foam pad then followed up with a wool pad looks pretty good but how do I get rid of the water spots
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: water spots

Post by fairtide »

I have found that water and a soft towel are usually enough to clean the topsides of most spots. One of the yard "experts" said that the dark blue Albin topsides is Awlgrip and that Awlgrip should not be waxed. I don't think that Albin used that product at its factory. This is an '06 28TE. Any thoughts?
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Water spots are usually caused by minerals in the water. If you don't wax, the water will not roll off, the drops dry in place leaving the "spot" behind. Albins did not come from the factory with Awlgrip unless, perhaps, someone wanted a custom color. You should most certainly wax gelcoat, otherwise it will oxidize in a few months. Most Awlgrip is found on older boats where the gelcoat is beat and cannot be brought back. Few do it unless they need it as it costs about $6,000 to spray a 28TE. If you find your boat has been awlgripped (not very likely on an 06) then I believe Awlgrip has their own finish.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing here but when I see 'water spots' they are usually salt deposits. They are very difficult to remove with a compund/cleaner wax.

Part of my post season routine is to acid wash the hull using muriatic acid, 50/50, then rinse, then wash, then wax before leaving for the winter.

Acid washing consists of applying with a paint pad or roller then rinsing in a couple of minutes. 'Water spots' gone.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Veebyes 2 you got it right the spots are on the hull and very hard to compound out can I use your method thuogh I have already compounded the entire hull and what does the acid do to the bottom paint
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Well.... the acid does not like anything organic. It does not like copper or galvanized metal either. It will leave run marks on the bottom paint. No matter if you are going to paint anyway. Once in the water if you don't paint no biggie either. The fish might see it but they won't complain.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”