• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rules of the Road question

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Rules of the Road question

Post by Legacy »

The around the world sailing race Volvo Ocean Race is arriving in Boston Harbor next Monday or Tuesday. Taking Legacy offshore to watch them race in. Besides staying out of their way, are there specific rules I need to know?

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Rules of the Road question

Post by jcollins »

Legacy wrote:The around the world sailing race Volvo Ocean Race is arriving in Boston Harbor next Monday or Tuesday. Taking Legacy offshore to watch them race in. Besides staying out of their way, are there specific rules I need to know?

Rick
I am assuming the course will be marked or posted on a website? Other than that, the normal rules for sailing vessels apply.
I'm surprised there aren't more rules of the road questions here at AOG. I always follow them, but there are so many newbies in my area, sometimes you just have to forget the rules and get out of the way. (or is that a rule too?) :?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Rick,
I will be surprised if there is not a CG presence at something like this for traffic control. They will let you know loud and clear if you are out of line. When Tall Ships are in Newport there is plenty of CG and local harbormasters around to keep order and clean up after any failures to keep things organized. I would contact the Boston harbormaster and ask if there is a plan. Rules of the road are a two edged sword. They are great if everyone knows them and follows them. They can also make some people incredibly dangerous when they think they are right but are not being reasonable.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

one rule of navigation, although not published, is the greater gross tonnage has right of way.

also a skipper maintaining a dangerous course because he is sure he is right is a hazard to all.

jmho........cap'n mick
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

special k wrote:also a skipper maintaining a dangerous course because he is sure he is right is a hazard to all.

jmho........cap'n mick
Ain't that the truth! I'm sure we all have horror stories about other boaters that don't know what they are doing.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

hey Rick ... thanks for the reminder about Boston being a leg port for the Volvo Race. As you are headed "offshore" to watch the end of this leg I'm sure you'll have plenty of room. Drop out a sea anchor or drift sock and relax, but stay on watch. The port race taking place mid'ish May before they leave town will be the time when things will get crazy around the harbor and its approach.

Remember, to be a "proper" Committee Boat be sure to have the makings of "Committee Boat Tea aboard. Earl Gray tea, honey & a bottle of Glenlivet .... warming and tastey! :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Vessels engaged in a "regatta" or other Coast Guard permitted event have right of way over all vessels not participating, at the discretion of the Coast Guard Officer in command on the scene.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

When I had my 34 Mainship I had to tow a friend's 34 Mainship directly thru the center of a sailboat race off Stonington. They were not happy :D but none of us had any choice in the matter.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
FIVEPLAY
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by FIVEPLAY »

Any security zone or other info should be published in advance in the local Notice to Mariners. This is available on the USCG site.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Looking forward to the race. Should arrive in the Boston area Monday or Tuesday. Will post photos.
Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

A little late to the party, but on the day you decide to go out tune to your local Vessel Traffic Service channels on your VHF radio.

Not sure how it is handle in your area, but generally all offshore traffic is handle on Channel 12 out here. I'm sure the VTS will be sending out SECURTE' messages
the day of the event to warn commercial traffic as well as private vessels.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"

Return to “General Discussion”