• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

painting my running gear

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: painting my running gear

Post by fairtide »

Does anyone have any hint about painting the plastic thruster prop? I did not paint it and near the end of the season the thrust was not as forceful as it had been. On haulout, I found out why. I don't want a barnacle merry-go-round this year.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I paint mine with the regular ablative bottom paint and it works very well. You have to take the propeller off to do it but that is not difficult and you can paint the tube much easier while the prop is out.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Plastics should be painted with a water-based paint, as the ketones in ketone-based paints can attack the plastic. That's why inflatables are painted with water-based paints. I don't paint my thruster prop simply because I use the boat for diving, beaching, swimming, etc. and the small film that develops on the prop rubs right off. The Vetus props have a very slick finish and, per Vetus, are not intended for paint. I do not think a new prop would hold paint well but as they get older, scratched, scuffed, etc. they would hold paint better.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”