• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rod Holder Insert / Side plastic panels

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod Holder Insert / Side plastic panels

Post by NJRobert »

On my 28TE Newport there are plastic panels directly under the coaming pads, where the built in rod holders are located. These are made of plastic and apparently one of them was installed incorrectly and caused a crack and break of the plastic, on the lower starboard panel in the corner at the screw. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge as to who made these for Albin and if this part might still be available?

Thanks
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Rod Holder Insert / Side plastic panels

Post by jcollins »

I wasn't quite sure what Robert was talking about until he sent me this picture.
Does anyone have an idea where to start to find this part? Do you think this was fabricated at Albin?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Thank you for posting this photo for me. I have already contacted SSI Plastics and Custom Marine Plastics. Both mae parts for Albin, but not this panel. This is the starboard side and it's a 2007 28TE Newport.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Hey Robert, Can you remove the panel and repair it from the back side with epoxy and cloth? I have repaired lots of things useing this method, and a lot of times the item ends up stronger than when it was made. Just a thought since you have been searching for a while. I have the same panels on my boat, and so far no cracks.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Unfortunately this is a smal triangle shaped piece going right up to the screw in the lower left corner. Problem is that Albin made the screw hole at an angle, instead of going in flush to the deck. Once this panel is removed, I would put a new one on. Especially since no telling what could happen when I attempt to take it off. Somewhere out there, another panel like this is lying in a corner. They did produce a 2009 28TE, so I would assume that there might be at least one more out there. This panel should have been made of something more durable than thin plastic, especially because of it's size and "flexibility".
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

NJRobert,
Have you tried Custom Marine Plastics?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1405
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Yes, I have. Both Mike and Curt at Custom marine are nice, and helpful. Unfortunately they did not make this particular part. I'm hoping that someone from prior Albin production ( or someone from Bladen) might see these postings and offer some suggestions. Someone out there has to know.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Might be worth a phone call to these people. It looks like they made the cup holder inserts for Albin.

http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/rod%20box.htm
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”