• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Impeller inspection and replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Impeller inspection and replacement

Post by SCHUTZEE »

I am considering a Speedseal kit http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html and a Globe impeller http://www.globerubberworks.com/nav.php ... s_impeller as I have had several impeller failures on the stock Sherwood impeller. I looks like the Speedkit would making impeller inspections and replacement much easier. Does anyone have experience with these products?
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

What engine do you have? On my Yanmar you have to remove the pump from the engine to get to the impeller. On top of that you have to be a contortionest as well.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

Sorry, I should have included this: Cummins 450 8.3L C series. The pump is not easy to access, but not impossible.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sherwood impeller

Post by N4QC »

Check out www.boatdiesel.com. There are several threads about the Sherwood impeller on the forum, as well as an article in the articles section written by Tony Athens...

Good luck,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
tomcat rio

when i had a new peninsular installed

Post by tomcat rio »

when i had a new peninsular installed in my 28 te, the shop told me there was very little clearence between the impeller and the fuel tank bulkhead. so they slid the whole engine/transmission assembly foward about 3", which required some expensive fiberglass work to the cover and deck.
see pics:
http://static.flickr.com/46/127547476_258f7ef042_b.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/48/127546886_b09806683b_b.jpg
if i had the benefits of the knowledge available on this forum at the time, i might have gotten away cheaper.
its still an awkward projct. i was considering replacing the screws on the impeller cover with allen headed screws and using a 90 degree allen screw for the job.
i think i will definitely take a hard look at the options in the first post in this thread.
thanks!
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Want a near impossible job? Try getting the impeller or whole assembly off a Cummins 5.9L installed in a 32. What were the people at Cummins thinking when they designed that setup. don't they know that engines operate in boat engine compartments, not on shop benches?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

I just ordered the Speedseal kit. Very easy ordering process via toll free number. I'll post my experience when I install it.
furma2n

Post by furma2n »

I put the Speedseal covers on both my CAT 3126 engine and Northstar genset, and they work great. Much easier to get off using the knurled head bolts, plus you do not have to remove it 100% to get the impellers out. Hope it works as well for you.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Try getting the impeller or whole assembly off a Cummins 5.9L installed in a 32
May last boat was an old Mainship that I repowered with a Cummins 6bta.
Yes the water pump is a bear to remove....I jacked the engine and removed the mount...then it's a piece of cake. Actually I did the job that way in about 2 hours....once I got past the "what a pain this will be" mode.
Word of advise....if you can't find the shaft key...it fell into the intake hose. :wink:
Hope this helps.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: Impeller inspection and replacement

Post by crowra »

Revitalizing this 6-year old post. We have a Cummins 6BT5 (1986) and want to hang the engineer by his cajones for the placement of the raw water pump. Anyone used the Speedseal cover? I am about to order one and will let you know.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin

Return to “Albin Maintenance”