• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor-What kind do you use?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anchor-What kind do you use?

Post by zinbaad »

With so many differat types and weight of anchors out there can be tought choice which works best. My Past boats used the Danforth style, 16 lbs on the 22 Walkaround. I think my currant Albin 31 Te has a 22lb Danforth.
Installing a Good windless this week and it has been recomended to use a Plow type because of the more weighted hook end and out long style pulpit.. Just wondering what every one else uses. I will try the existing Danforth hoping it free falls with out assistance.
What do you use?
Style ?
Weight ?
chain lenth ?
windless ?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Anchor-What kind do you use?

Post by jcollins »

I have a Bruce plow anchor w/ 10' of chain. I also carry a spare danforth.
I have not had any problems setting or retrieving this anchor. It has not broken loose while anchored...yet.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

22lb. Lewmar Delta here.

Swapping out my rode this season. Minimum recomended chain length = boat length rounded up to the next 10 ft. / Chapman's I believe.

Current rode = 30 ft. of chain and 250 ft. of 1/2 inch 3 strand. Definately going with plait/brait this year, just trying to figure out if I may go with longer chain and less line.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Anyone want to buy an anchor? I have quite a collection onboard. Between 3 boats I have 8 anchors.

I swear by, & most of my boating friends now swear by, the Bruce or its clone these days. My primary, on the roller, is a Bruce 33# with about 35' of chain. It has never failed me. I have done many overnights on this anchor.

I got my lesson on anchor types when I still had my Albin 27AC. We were rafted up for an overnight with friends who had a Wellcraft 26. They had a Bruce with appropriate chain. I had a Fortress FX11 with about 15' of chain. Both anchors were set.

Overnight, after an evening of much wine sampling etc., we had a shower go through which gave us a 180deg wind shift. Both anchors pulled as we slept. The next morning we found that my Fortress had pulled out as a lump of mud & grass & dragged uselessly across the bottom. The Bruce had pulled, rolled over, & in less than a few feet had reset, burying itself till nothing but the shank was visible as it held both boats.

I still have that Fortress FX11. It is used as a beach anchor. I also have a 25# CQR. It is useless in anything but soft bottom.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

22# delta w/ 40' of chain..
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I think i will increase my chain lenth for sure. The Bruce seems like the way to go.. I would hate to fall asleep and wake up in Spain somewhere
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

Bruce (Claw Style) Pros: Excellent holding strength in many anchoring bottoms. Easy to recover. Excellent strength due to its one-piece design.

Bruce (Claw Style) Cons: Awkward one-piece design can make stowage outside of rollers or chocks difficult. Doesn't perform as well in sand and mud as in other bottoms such as rock and sea weed.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”