• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Zinc Replacements on shafts rudder & Yanmars?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Zinc Replacements on shafts rudder & Yanmars?

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:Anyone else have any trouble with replacement impellers?
Have not experienced it or heard of it until this thread....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Fuenstock -

The same thing happened to me last Fall changing my zincs. The zinc on the intercooler came loose from the brass nipple and fell in. I tried for 2 hours to fish it out using bent coat-hangers, tweezers, etc. to no avail. The marina told me that it would dissolve over time and not to worry about it. Mack Boring, however, told me I need to get it out of the intercooler because it may block H2O circluation and cause overheating. My project this weekend (if warm enough) is to remove the end of the intercooler, retrieve the broken zinc and then order a replacement seal to put the intercooler back together again. Unfortunately, I also have to remove the forward end of the engine oil cooler and get a replacement (there is one bolt in the center that might be a little difficult to get a socket on) because I stripped the threads replacing that zinc. I learn the hard way!

Good luck.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Gents,

I'm pretty sure there is a zinc on the bow thruster prop, as well. I haven't seen anyone mention that one. Another 28TE owner at the marina has told me a few times not to forget about that one.

I think we're seeing some light at the end of this long-winter "tunnel!" It's supposed to be 50 on Saturday - maybe a good day to start compounding that green hull of mine! Although, that might not work, since I'll probably leave the shrink wrap on for another 2 weeks.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

pcthornton wrote: Although, that might not work, since I'll probably leave the shrink wrap on for another 2 weeks.
I have the shrink wrap only down to the rub rail.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”