• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Switching to AGMs

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Switching to AGMs

Post by mackidaddy »

Hi all,
Is there anything to worry about when switching from lead acid batteries to AGMs? Heavier gauge wire? Confirm the battery charger is compatible? Inverter? Any other considerations? Thanks.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Switching to AGMs

Post by Veebyes2 »

From what I understand no change from wet cell to AGM. Gel cells are the ones that need the adjustment to voltage regulator & charger.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
cdahmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdahmen »

when switching types of batteries you might want to check your charger to see if there is a different setting for agm batteries.
elad

Post by elad »

This is not a commercial pitch, just personal experience.

Don't even think of any other battery until you check out Odyssey batteries. Dry cell, small, sealed, 4 yr warranty. You can even run they down to zero and they will recover. No system changes required. I use two PC2150's in my TE 28. Pricey, but well worth it. The last batteries you will ever buy.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would read the documentation that accompanies the batteries and see what it recommends for a charging voltage and see what your various charging sources are putting out (alternator, charger, etc...), to be sure that you're not exceeding the battery's rating.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

The battery charger on my new Ranger Tug has separate settings for all three major battery types: flooded cell, AGM and gel cell. Gel cells can be really touchy to charge. I've used them in BMW motorcycles for many years. Even the battery chargers sold with the BMW logo didn't always do a good job. My current BMW battery and battery charger have just begun their second year without a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”