• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

electrolysis

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

electrolysis

Post by skye peak »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am losing zincs in 60+ days and started to track down the problem. With an overboard zinc (fish) connected to my shaft, which currently has no zinc attaced underwater, I measure 700 millivolts.

I have read that 200-800 millivolts is acceptable in one article and to the contrary in another article.

Do we have any surveyors or electrical engineers on the forum that could chime in with an opinion?

Thanks
Skye
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: electrolysis

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

How and where are you measuring that voltage? 700mV sounds like a lot.
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: electrolysis

Post by skye peak »

the 700 mv is measured between the unprotected prop shaft and the overboard zinc on a wire.

Shore power is disconnected, 12volt batteries are disconnected at the terminals.

Boat is on a private dock with the 110v shut off up at the house to eliminate stray currents.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”