• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass replacement/upgrade

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

fuenstock
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Windlass replacement/upgrade

Post by fuenstock »

Is there a link to a site where I can get the 8 strand brait? I've had trouble with my windlass and 3 strand, 8 strand brait sounds lik it could be the solution.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

fuenstock wrote:Is there a link to a site where I can get the 8 strand brait? I've had trouble with my windlass and 3 strand, 8 strand brait sounds lik it could be the solution.
Russ had posted a link to 8 braid plait at Defender further up the thread. Click the link which will bring you to by the foot pricing. They offer a-la-carte to build your own rode or pre-mades. You will see Plait to chain splice pricing and chain pricing as well if you search around you can find pre-made rodes. personally I would go a-la-carte as I would want a minimum of 30 ft. of chain ... most pre-mades only come with 15 ft.. Defender's pricing is usually one of the very lowest around and they have become one of my top suppliers. Good luck & hopefully this thread will help us all to get the optimum from our windasses in th near future!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Pitou wrote:I had noticed versus our ALBINS and my buddies boat is that his pulpit is very short as ours seem pretty long. Making a difference because of angle??? I don't know. Lots of scenarios playing around inside my head to try and understand. Wondering if it is a pulpit design issue. Just not sure and looking for input and hoping one of you guys have found the "holy grail". :D
I agree with Pintu, I think the pulpit was not designed well for a windless I have a friend with he same windless and it is working fine for him (the anchor goes through a slot in the pulpit closer to the bow). I had a Lewmar 400 (non FF) on another boat and it worked all the time. Down and up and the rope or chain never came off the sprockets. But the angle was greater.
steiger.jpg
When I bought my Albin it also came with a 400 but I did not get to try it as within 2 weeks or prepping the boat the motor burnt out. I contacted Lewmar and from memory the price of a new motor was ~$250, and there was no warranty. I ended up replacing it with the 700FF, installation was simple because the bolt hole already lined up (But you need to go get extra long stainless threaded rods).

After the install I had 2 problems, 1)the danford anchor the boat came with would not freefall, 2)while retrieving the rope would pop of the wheel 50% of the time. Unacceptable...

So I bought the below anchor to solve the launching issue ( the weight is farther forward and lower than the danford) and its supposed to hold very well, I did have to fabricate a small steel loop as the anchor is taller than the danford.

http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/SitePage ... upreme.htm
albinff.jpg
I see 2 issues during retrieval 1)the rope locker is not deep enough therefore not enough weight on the line to keep it going down and occasionally it binds up in the hole (the sprocket is pushing the rope into the hole faster than it wants to go), 2) the angle from where the rope meets the sprocket (with just a little jump of the line it can pop off the sprocket. A new line may help for #1 but I do not think #2.
Pintous idea of going with more chain may solve the <30ft anchorages...I guess I would need 60-75 ft ? Hmmm more to think about

I will be following this thread close to see if a new rope will help anyone out....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Kevin, I was out fishing today and my windlass is the Horizon 500. It seems to work just fine. We got 5 nice stripers with the largest at 40 inches. So it was a pretty good day.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Windlass replacement/upgrade / 8 brait

Post by Pitou »

Russell wrote:Kevin, I was out fishing today and my windlass is the Horizon 500. It seems to work just fine. We got 5 nice stripers with the largest at 40 inches. So it was a pretty good day.
Russ, while you were out fishing I was putting the snowplow on the truck and filling the snow blower with gas. Skiing in VT next week and snowmobiling at Tugg Hill in Ny the following in preperation for a 700 mile ride in Maine.

Thanks for responding about the 500. I plan to order today.

I did find another source for 8 plait / SecoSouth in FL, formerly owned by Lewmar. http://www.secosouth.com/category/custo ... rodes.html
Yale Cordage of Saco, Maine is their supplier of 8 brait. http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/anchoring_tech.pdf Huge savings over Defender for a complete rode set-up ... 300 ft. of 8 plait, 30 ft. of 1/4 inch chain with spliced anchor swivel .... $281 / same set-up at Defender ..... $353. For those re-using a swivel and chain / doing your own splice and only in need of 8 plait rode .58 / ft at SecoSouth and .65 at Defender.

8 brait splice http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/bra ... splice.pdf
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”