• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sealant Color

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

TD
First Mate
First Mate

Sealant Color

Post by TD »

Having removed the cockpit floor panel [about 3'X3'] to replace my fuel sending unit I am now ready to re-caulk it. The color of the existing sealant is like almond, bone or very light tan to match the boat decor. I want to use either sikaflex 291, boatlife or 3M 4000 but can't find any in that color. Does anyone know what Albin used? I can use an industrial material but I might not be able to get the qualities needed i.e. UV, adhesive, etc characteristics. I also don't want to go with bulk material if I can help it.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Sealant Color

Post by RobS »

Boatlife Life Seal is the preferred sealant for deck joints but I see it's in white, black or clear only. Parker Boats are a popular light almond colored boat - perhaps you can call Parker or a dealer and see what they are using.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Thanks Rob -- I will give that a try Monday.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

I too have that hatch up and will need to seal it. When I replaced the deck on my Bertram I used 4200 and it got mold in it within 2 years. What is there that will not mold? Thanks JACK
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I picked the three in my post that I have been told by a boat repair yard that they are mold resistant & have UV protection and are flexible. I do not have actual experience other than I have never had a joint that would not get mold in it. I have had fiberglass boats for over 30 years and have always had some mold. The mold can be removed with Interlux slovent 202 which is what I will use on the other Albin joints which show mold. Terry
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I talked to Parker Boats at 888-256--4817 [Charlie in parts] and he was very helpful. They have Starbrite light beige and he said tan. After looking at Starbrite web site there are two colors: Light Beige #82158 and Almond #82155. Charlie said Starbrite makes this for SeaRay. I called the local SeaRay dealer and they say they get it from Port Supply.
West Marine will order it for me at about $14/ 16oz tube, but I am still not sure which one the the two numbers would match best. If I find out I will update on this post. Terry
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I just talked to Starbrite at 800-327-8583 and discussed the three colors: #82158 light beige, #82155 almond, and #82180 beige. They quit making #85180 which is dark beige.
He indicated that this is the order from lighest to darkest in color. After describing my boat color to be like lighter than the old appliance almond and more like bone he indicated the #82158 light beige would probably fit best. He said he didn't have enough information in front of him to say if they supply SeaRay.
I am going to order #82158 and try it.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Looks like you're on the right track :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Thanks Rob for the lead. I will give a report when I am done. Fisheries in Seattle won't order two tubes of caulk so have to find another outlet.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I tried to order from West Marine and a couple of others but they wanted to sell me 12 tubes and would not order two. I called Parker Boats back and they sold me two tubes of the light biege and shipped them to Seattle for $25. I used one tube to caulk the floor and it looks like a very good match. I am real happy with Parker Boats [Charlie in parts].
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle

Return to “Albin Maintenance”