• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Bolster cushions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Bolster cushions

Post by Denis »

I need to have new bolster cushions made for my 28' TE, I thought I heard that Bristol Cushions out of RI used to supply them for Albin.

Using their ad from Soundings magazine, I sent them an e-mail and after two weeks and no response I called and talked to someone who answered the phone. I gave them my cell phone number and someone was supposed to call me over a week ago, still no response. I thought business was down and companies were hungry but I guess not in this case. Why did they bother to advertise in Soundings only to ignore my direct request for some work?
Has anyone else had new bolster cushions made in the Ct or RI area and are you happy with the result? Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: New Bolster cushions

Post by Carl »

Denis, Could just be your timeing. A lot of places like that shut down for the holidays. I dont know anything about them nor have ever used them, but it could have been just the time of year. Are you going to try to use a different type of foam in the new ones? I took mine off for the winter and they must have gained 10lbs in water. Let us know what you use and how you make out whoever you use.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Denis,
When I was shopping I contacted them. They were helpful via telephone, but not real responsive via e-mail. They never did call back when they were supposed to. I ended up calling them. I assumed they were just busy at the time. Since I went with the canvas opposed to vinyl I used a local shop. I slide them off the track and store below when fishing or not on the boat. It takes about one minute. The shop I used is Danny's Custom Canvas in Maryland.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Denis,
I agree it's probably timing.
I removed the lower unit on the 40 hp off my 13' Whaler last Monday to have seals replaced, and the shop is closed until next Wednesday.

I also called East Marine in Falmouth, MA, the authorized Yanmar dealer. I'm just at 500 hours and want to schedule a valve adjustment. No answer. Left messge. No call back.
Many of these marine businesses have taken a l-o-n-g holiday week to lick their wounds. Tough year for most.

One exception: I left an email on New Years Eve for Teakworks to discuss installation of a teak and holly sole on my 28 TE. Bob called back at 9:30am on New Years Day!!
I think he wants the business.....
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I used them to replace my bolsters, I was very happy with the work they did and the price. Communication was not a problem, I am on the West coast and they were reposnsive at the time. That was around August of 2007. I spoke with Steve or Oscar. via e-mail and phone.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I am also on the hunt for new bolsters and e-mailed them in December. Got a reply back in a few days. I plan on driving down there some time next week (about 20 my from my shop to theirs), and dropping the old ones off. I'll let you know what I find out.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Thanks for the replys, I suppose I will try another phone call and see what happens. I would like to get on top of it before the spring push.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:I am also on the hunt for new bolsters and e-mailed them in December. Got a reply back in a few days. I plan on driving down there some time next week (about 20 my from my shop to theirs), and dropping the old ones off. I'll let you know what I find out.
Please do Ric. BTW, I do not remember your bolsters being in sub-par condition?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

After 13 years of owning an Albin 27 with its virtual forest of teak to take care of I swore I'd never have wood to maintain on the exterior again. Bought my 32 & I was in heaven. NO teak outside. The bolster cushions lasted about 8 years. I did not like the cost of replacement every 8 years so I went out, bought the lumber, mahogany, & made my own except I did not bother with the cushion part.

Now I just have to refinish them every few years. No big job. Take them off. Take them home & I have another rainy day project to keep me busy.

The look is good too.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Veebyes2 wrote:After 13 years of owning an Albin 27 with its virtual forest of teak to take care of I swore I'd never have wood to maintain on the exterior again. Bought my 32 & I was in heaven. NO teak outside. The bolster cushions lasted about 8 years. I did not like the cost of replacement every 8 years so I went out, bought the lumber, mahogany, & made my own except I did not bother with the cushion part.

Now I just have to refinish them every few years. No big job. Take them off. Take them home & I have another rainy day project to keep me busy.

The look is good too.

Tell the truth. You just wanted to show us that beautiful water. <sigh>
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Rob:

The bolsters are not terrible, and I could probably squeeze another season out of them. They are are fading a bit and there is a spot where a seagull shit that discolored and is starting to break through, either from the contents of the poop or the various chemicals I used to attempt to remove the stain. It was one of those rare stretches last summer when I couldn't get to the boat for about a week and the sun just baked the crap into the vinyl. I like to stay ahead of these things rather than waiting until they look really bad. This time of year I am looking for anything boat related to spend some money on. The Shell credit card (fuel) is all caught up, and I feel like my income has shot up suddenly! I actually went battery shopping Friday, I am going to replace #1 with 2 6V Trojan T105 golf cart batteries. Thinking about changing the setup to "House" and "Start" with one of these :
http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387

Veebees:
While your teak solution looks great, it would never fly with my wife who seems to bruise if she sneezes. She's the one who spends the most time at the rail hauling in the big stripers, so her comfort comes first! Teak "cushions" remind me too much of the hours spent on my knees begging forgiveness from an entity that was obviously not listening, for crimes I had yet to commit. :wink:
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Sorry John

If I have reason to use the pic again I'll try to photoshop the water out so you guys won't suffer. :lol: If there is need for a water pic I'll just send this one.

Back to topic. :twisted:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Yea Yea you guys just gotta rub it in on us!! :lol:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

:mrgreen:

Sorry to go off-topic. :)
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:This time of year I am looking for anything boat related to spend some money on.
I'll send you a list and my shipping address.... :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”