• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Reverse Engine Vents and Forward Bilge Pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Saltydog

Reverse Engine Vents and Forward Bilge Pump

Post by Saltydog »

Just wanted to share my experience on these topics and get some advice too. On our 2007 28TE, I noticed water coming in through the forward facing vents since it was collecting in the vent hoses and the forward bilge. I turned all three of the vents around to face reverse and found no loss in engine performance nor increase in temperature--it seems like the Yanmar 315 hp 6LPA-STP (mechanical diesel) is able to suck in all the air it needs, as some of you predicted. There is no longer any water coming through the vents. However, surprisingly, I'm still getting some water in the forward bilge--so I added a forward bilge pump at the lowest point to get the last drops of water out--this works great but I am concerned about the fact that water is still coming in. The question I need some advice on is--where could the water still be coming in from now, since it is not from the forward facing vents? Any suggestions and comments most welcome!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Reverse Engine Vents and Forward Bilge Pump

Post by RobS »

Saltydog wrote:The question I need some advice on is--where could the water still be coming in from now, since it is not from the forward facing vents? Any suggestions and comments most welcome!
Since your TE is an '07, I assume you have a Flush Deck?

On the Engine Box models it would be overflow of the cockpit deck drains located in the channels around the hatch openings. I'm not familiar with the setup on the Flush Deck for cockpit drainage.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I always seem to have some water in the forward bilge as it is the low point. I have a 99 28TE. I clean out my cockpit drains once a year buy using a hose. Not to much pressure but enough to push out any debrie and dirt that accumulates. It was very evident since after a good rain I always had more water in it then before cleaning them this way. Since I've been doing that I have allot less water in the forward bilge.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I have a 2006 flushdeck and I get water in the bilge from around the large aft deck hatch. The inner deck hatch has a trough with drains but the outer hatch just has a completely inadequate rubber seal.
I plan on replacing it this winter but if there is ANY gap, the water will lay in the hatch seam until it slowly drips into the bilge. I believe it's a futile effort until I have a better idea.
I think you'll get rain water in the bilge through the engine vents regardless of which way they face. I plan to replace the engine vent ducting this winter as well. If I can get a seal between the ducting and the vent box, then I'll install the new ducting so it comes upward off the vent box, draining any water back out the vent. :roll:
I think some of the drain hoses leak as well. Standard hose clamps on corrugated hose is not the best setup.
Good Luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

A friend told me to taste the bilge water which I haven't done yet. His guess that it's rain water is substantiated by zero accumulation in the forward bilge during the week last August when we had no rain.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

I too have a 2007 28TE Newport Edition. I have the same problems with the forward bilge. As someone in this discussion mentioned earlier, I have indeed tasted the water, and it's usually freshwater to taste. The rod holders located on both the port and starboard sides appear to drain down into the bilge, and usually collect just forward of the engine. Having EVERYTHING on deck drain directly overboard is obviously the best design to have. As good as this boat is, that's one "design flaw" that needs to be looked at. Here's another: The sliding windows on both sides of the pilothouse have "weep" holes in them. However, when the boat is riding on plane and you hit a wave, there are no weep holes at the rear portion of the window frames and the water has no place to go, except underneath the glass and into the cockpit area. This is yet another "design flaw" that needs to be addressed. This especially, since it's usually seawater.

As for the forward bilge, mine sits on a platform about an inch off the bottom. Hence, it never goes off and that annoying 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of water has to be sucked out with a vaccum or something like that. I'd be interested in knowing if you moved your existing pump or added another one forward and lower than the one the boat came with?
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Saltydog

Post by Saltydog »

Thanks everyone for your great comments and advice. I'm inclined to agree completely that the most likely source of water is through the large cockpit hatch on the flush deck--I've pretty much ruled everything else out. This is clearly a design flaw, and I also agree that it would be best to have all water drain off the boat than into the bilge--hopefully the new manufacturer will take note of this and jump on it as an opportunity for improvement. The other flaw that was mentioned about the sliding side windows taking in water is also an opportunity for improvement--I plan to add a lucite cover over the electrical switches just below the window on the starboard side that often get wet. With regard to the forward bilge pump, I added a new pump and placed a hose with a "metal foot" on it reaching to the lowest point--I have a manual switch on it so I can pump the bilge out completely dry. I have found this to be a very handy addition, well worth the trouble. Will let everyone know when (and IF) I can solve the leaking cockpit hatch problem!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

NJRobert wrote: I'd be interested in knowing if you moved your existing pump or added another one forward and lower than the one the boat came with?
Many have tackled this problem. There are several ways that all work well e.g., possibly using the shower pump, using a pickup hose and a remote pump, manual or automatic setup..... they all get the job done. Search the boards and you shall find....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

What I am going to do with the rear of the sliding window frame, is to drill a round hole in the corner, enough to allow the water to escape overboard instead of backing over and down the inside wall. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to whether thr new owners will honor hull warranties on late model albins, i.e, 07 and 08 model years? Does anyone have a contact name and/ or number for someone at the new factory?
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I sent a PM to Bo Palmer at Bladen Composites a couple of weeks ago asking about the hull warranty and whether or not they are honoring it. (I also have a 2007 Newport and have some minor cracking where the rear pillars join the pilot house roof and also one crack in the rounded edge of the pillar). So far no answer, but will give it a little bit more time due to the Holidays. I will let you know what I find out
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Thanks Richard,

I will be attending the Atlantic City Boat Show in early February, where, I am told, Albin was going to have spot. My former dealer in New Jersey told me that they were going to possibly discuss picking up the dealership again. As soon as I hear something on my end, I will let you know.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport

Return to “Albin Maintenance”