• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Starting problems

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Starting problems

Post by Capt Paul »

Well I have gone a little further with this issue and after all the possible areas of concern it winds up being the solenoid. It was not easy to diagnose as it was very intermittent. I had a problem starting it one day and by chance with the key in the on position I hit the red button and then tried to start it and it started right up. It was starting right up for the last few weeks and then yesterday after sitting for two weeks with colder weather setting in, it would not start. Hit the red button with the key switch on and its started right up after that. So it looks like the solenoid is getting stuck closed. a couple of hits of the red button and it starts up every time. Not sure if removing it and cleaning it would be the solution or just replace it . I think I will remove it and try cleaning it before replacing it. Looks like I will get my chance to learn how to bleed the fuel system. I am going to take the plunge and try to do this on my own. I'm not a mechanic but any means, But like many have said on this site knowing how to bleed the fuel system is a really good thing to know.

Wish me luck

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My experience with working on Cummins truck engines tells me if the solenoid is truely "sticking" replacement is the only reliable alternative.
It may not be getting full voltage on the "pulling" coil. That is another area you need to look at.
You should be able to hear and see the solenoid working when you work the ignition switch. You can use a test wire to supply the solenoid with a known good 12V and that should tell you if the coil is good.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We had a problem with starting our Caterpillar engine a couple years back. My father was sure it was the solenoid/starter, so he had it replaced at great expense. Turned out it was just poor battery management. The house battery was draining the start battery, and the voltage was dropping too low to flip the solenoid.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Not that I have really taken the time to look for it, but is there anyone out there with a Peninsular that knows if we have a solenoid like that and where it is? Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”