• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 6BTA Air Filters

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Cummins 6BTA Air Filters

Post by Doug »

How does one tell if the air filter(s) need to be changed?
Is this a filter that can be cleaned, or does it need to be replaced?
Does this filter have to come from Cummins, or can I get is somewhere like NAPA?
Thanks,
Doug
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Cummins 6BTA Air Filters

Post by muscrat »

The Cummins filter that came with my engine was a paper element and was damp after about two months. I swapped it out with a filter from seaboard marine. The EGTs went down about 50 degrees after doing that.. It is like a K&N and is washable and should last a long time.. their website is sbmar.com
if you need more info let me know

steve
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Steve, I can't find the airfilters on the seaboard web site. Can you post the link to the exact page? I am presently using the paper type from NAPA which seems to be the same as the Cummins. I assume EGT is exhaust gas temperature. Is that correct? Thanks.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Send Tony Athens an e mail tony@sbmar.com and tell him what engine you have and he or one of his guys will reply.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Doug »

I emailed Tony and he replied with an email suggesting I purchase a different "Envirovent" setup for $350.00. All I need is a couple of replacement filters. Any other suggestions as to where I might find them. I tried the Seabord Marine site, but was not able to locate just the replacement air filters. He said he thinks I have a Walker Airsept system.
Doug
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My Cummins was delivered withn the AirSep reusable filter with closed crankcase breather system with turbo silencer. There are 2 filters on the system. It is comprised of the large filter intake element and regulator filter for the crankcase. Both are easily cleaned with air filter cleaner, left to dry and then oiled with air filter oil which I do annually. Airsep has their own brand of cleaner and oil or K&N will do and is more readily available. There are different kits available depending upon HP. The system seems to work well. I must say, I am curious about the Envirovent System.

http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_marine.asp
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

What you want is just an "S&B" filter. It is similar to a K&N but built much stronger. They are lifetime and cleanable with a standard K&N cleaning kit available and just about any auto parts store. What's nice abiout a cleanable filter is if you have a "water event" in your engine room you can simply dry out the filter and run. A paper filter will be useless.
When I bought mine I opted for the heavy duty neck. By the way I tried a K&N before I bought the S&B...the filter neck broke in 2 hours running time....returned it and got my $$ back. Ordered an S&B. Done deal.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

Doug,

sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase..

I dealt with brad in the parts department at seaboard. Brad at sbmar.com. Do you have a airsep system now?

Russell
yes, EGT is exhaust gas temp..

Jay,

did you get yours from seaboard too?

Steve

edited to change the @ so brad doesn't get spammed :)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Jay,

did you get yours from seaboard too
Yes. And sent several others there as well...we are all satisfied customers.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Doug »

I do have a Walker Airsep system. I called Walker and they told me how to clean my filters. I ordered the filter cleaning material from them as well as the smaller (crankcase vent) filter. They told me it is important the smaller filter remain no more than 15 degrees from straight up. Mine was not. Hopefully, there is enough room to mount this filter in the upright position.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Doug

Return to “Albin Maintenance”