• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Reversing the engine vents

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Reversing the engine vents

Post by Pitou »

mackidaddy wrote:Thanks Kevin.
BTW, I am JP's buddy who you gave a tour a few years back. Thanks for the info and inspiration to step up to the plate on an Albin. Not looking back whatsoever. Nice machine.
Son of a gun, thanks for saying hello and nice to see you on the AOG! I had heard from JP that you made the move, congrats! Trolling across the bank in early October I quartered off your port wondering if that was you .... the word was out. I was looking for Mackinaw .... I believe I saw Gannet & did not make the connection and was later told by our mutual friend that you saw me go by. I heard you had a good day and have plans to rig that boat and make her fishy. Happy to have helped feed the boating addiction . : :D
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

This is an interesting thread. I have questioned the vent installations but after coming home across Casco Bay yesterday with a decent beam sea and watching my aft pump run more often than
not, something must be done :) I am sure the location worked well for manufacture but this is a poor location and installation in practice. Long term, I will probably move the vents from the outside of the hull to another location but in the near term reversing them seems like a reasonable solution. In reviewing this and the other threads on this it seems like engine compartment temperature would be the primary concern with facing the vents aft. Has anyone monitored the compartment and intake temps after reversing their vents?

Thanks, Chris
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Also, don't forget, the diesels need a lot of air.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

The vents on my 05 flush deck face to the rear. The previous owner may have done that inadvertently when the boat was painted, but it seems to work fine.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”