• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Answer to 1970 Albin Prop Shaft Question

Albin's "power cruisers"
DaveP

Answer to 1970 Albin Prop Shaft Question

Post by DaveP »

I thought you might enjoy seeing the answer I received from a boating maintence guru concerning rebuilding the prop shaft on a 1970 Albin 25.

(From Boat U.S.) You recently submitted a question to BoatUS expert Don Casey Do-It-Yourself Guru. Our expert had a chance to review your question and has provided an answer:

Your original question:
I would like to replace the seals, rubber bushings, hoses and other parts on the prop shaft of a 1970 Albin 25 motor/sailer. Do you know any source for these parts original or after market?

Our expert's answer:
Everything aft of the transmission shaft flange is “universal,” meaning the same parts fit lots of boats so they are readily available. New shaft (cutless) bearings can be purchased from any full-line chandler such as West Marine or Defender Industries. Packing for the stuffing box will also be available from these sources. If you need to replace the hose that connects the stuffing box to the stern tube, your best source is likely to be a local prop shop. If for some reason you want to replace the entire stuffing box, these are also available from a good prop shop. The original on your boat was probably manufactured by Buck Algonquin (www.buckalgonquin.com). A visit to their website will get you familiar with exactly what each bit you need is called and their home page has a distributor tab which will list sources in your area. Buck Algonquin is also a good source for the hose, which for this critical use is a extra strong multi-ply hose.

When you do replace the parts that keep the water from coming in around the shaft, be sure you realign the shaft at the same time. Poor engine alignment will wear out your new parts in short order.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Answer to 1970 Albin Prop Shaft Question

Post by jcollins »

DaveP,

Thank you for the post. This will be helpful information to others.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”