• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone ever had engine & Tranny Oil Analized

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Just think of an oil analysis as a snapshot in time. You need several snapshots to get the full trend. That's how an oil analysis can help.
I've had analyses on new engines look horrible and on old engnies look great. There are always reasons for everything and some are very simple.

Case in point...2 years ago I had an analysis on my Velvet Drive tranny oil. Came back with 3600 + ppm of iron. That's 10 times the amount when it's recommended for a rebuild. As a matter of fact one tranny "guru" told me not to bother taking it apart..it was toast. Another said it might be ok. I did rebuild it myself and once inside I found the iron problem....I took the sample from next to the magnet that's epoxied to the bottom of the sump. Duh!
And none of those tranny experts ever mentioned that possibility. Heck the magnet wasn't even shown in the repair manual.
:roll:

So bottom line...don't punish yourself over the results until you fully think it thru.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:Just think of an oil analysis as a snapshot in time. You need several snapshots to get the full trend. That's how an oil analysis can help.
I agree but there appears to be no prior data available so comparing the results from one engine to another should be of some assistance....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Every time I change the oil, I send in a sample.

Every time the sample gets lost or ignored.

Yet every time I keep doing it.

I don't know why.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

comparing the results from one engine to another should be of some assistance.
And you have have to start somewhere. No arument there. Call it chapter 1.
Every time the sample gets lost or ignored. Yet every time I keep doing it. I don't know why.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”