• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Diesel Mechanic Recommendation and Engine Mounts

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Diesel Mechanic Recommendation and Engine Mounts

Post by Yearwood »

I had an earlier post under engine mounts but thought this subject more appropriate.

Our 2001 28' Yanmar powered TE had been experiencing vibration when warm and at minimum forward speed. I thought the engine mounts might be loose after around 1400 hours of service. A mechanic working on a number of boats at our YC was invited to look at our engine and told us that our engine mounts (rubber) were crushed and needed replacement. After a quick look I saw what appeared to be one of the mounting brackets off the "builder's marks". Not having the time to look further I told my boat partner to go ahead with the work. He had second thoughts for the mechanic's estimate of the work was all over the lot (I'm trying to keep it under $3,000). A few days later I had the time to take a close look and could not see any loose mounts and the rubber did not look to be crushed to me. In spite of the fact that part of my training is as a diesel engineer I could not determine for sure whether the mounts were serviceable or not.

Checked with our marina and they have done and could do the work. Checked with Bay Shore Marine in Eastport (Annapolis) and they gave a very reasonable estimate over the phone, checked to see they had mounts in stock and, having had very good experience with them in the past, I made an appointment for Friday morning. A little after 8 am I received a call from the mechanic working on the boat and he said the engine mounts (rubber) are fine consistent with the hours on the engine. Also told me how to determine when they need replacement. The 6LP's after some use seem to vibrate at low speed and unfortunately (for trollers) the solution is to jack up the idle rpm which he did using an accurate electronic tach. It appears to me that the one bracket was simply installed off the builder's mark which would pose no problem whatsoever as long as the bolt holes were properly drilled after the installation.

After using Bay Shore three or four times in the past three or four years (including a telephone confirmation of an alarm failure while underway and towing), I feel comfortable in recommending them for diesel repairs on Yanmar. They are Yanmar dealers.
Don
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Don,
Thanks for posting the recommendation. It's always helpful to others in your area.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”