• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

INTERIOR VARNISH

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

INTERIOR VARNISH

Post by Doug »

Anyone on the site know what type of "varnish" was used on the interior teak woodwork of the Albins? Ours is starting to need some re-coating in some areas. Our boat is a 97 32+2 CB

Thanks,
Doug
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

Doug,

I have the same issue in that I do not know what was used on the interior teak on my 87 albin trawler. I will likely use just teak oil. If you have tried and found someting that works, please let me know. I did read another posting that indicated someone had used cetol on the interior work with good results. It was under the classics postings I believe.

Vic
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have used Sikkens for many years, and it works very good. Just be very careful not to get it on anything you don't want stained. It brings out the teak color and keeps it there for many years.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

Denis,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Sikkens. I will try a test area during the winter.

Vic
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Sikkens Cetol is used primarily on external teak because varnish requires much more maintenance to keep in shape. To me it looks a little like paint. Interior teak is not subject to the UV radiation and exposure to salt water that does so much damage. I would stay with a satin finish varnish for interior teak but if you have not varnished anything before you should read some articles on the proper way to do it or it could be a disaster. Preparing the teak for whatever coating you put on it is the real work. I have used Armada on small areas of exterior teak because it can be recoated without sanding within 24 hours and looks more like real varnish than Cetol. Years ago I used Sherwin-Williams exterior wood stain in the color they called Antique Covered Bridge. It was the color of fresh teak and looked as good as Cetol for half the price. One coat lasted the whole year and the next year a bristle brush or light sanding would prepare it for the next coat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”