• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bottom paint

Post by NJRobert »

Most everyone at my dockyard has tried to battle barnacles without much success. Mostly on the metals. When I got my boat new from the dealer two years ago, photos prior to launching showed that they had used bottom paint on the trim tabs, and most metals, except the prop.

That year I was in pretty good shape regarding barnacles. There are several theories about what works and why, as well as what doesn't. This past season I tried Petit anti-barnacle spray paint and by mid-season, I had to haul it out due to barnacle encrusted prop and trim tabs. Slowed me down big time!

I use Petit Hydrocoat on the hull (which has a barrier coat from the dealer) and it works great. No barnacles ever on the hull. I'm thinking about going totally with this paint, on all metals and fiberglass. The can says it can be used on steel. However, my intakes and prop are bronze. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
B Gallo

Bottom Paint

Post by B Gallo »

I found Hydracoat ineffective on metal. I tried Trilux 33 on the trim tabs this season with great results.

Ben Gallo
2002 28TE Rooster Tail
East Greenwich
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Have a diver clean the bottom on a regular schedule. This is far cheaper than having the boat hauled. Ours is cleaned 4 times per year, which seems to be sufficient.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mariner wrote:Have a diver clean the bottom on a regular schedule. This is far cheaper than having the boat hauled. Ours is cleaned 4 times per year, which seems to be sufficient.
I agree, and better yet, get certified for diving and DIY.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes and have a 50 or 75 ft long regulator hose made up. Keep the tank on deck. Then you can go under the boat for that kind of work, change zincs, etc. and not have to don all the gear. :wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I believe the diver who does our boat has some sort of cart-mounted air pump that he rolls down the dock and plugs into a shorepower outlet. This unit appears to allow him to work under the boats for an unlimited amount of time and with minimal gear. He does use a very heavy drysuit, as he often performs his services in the middle of winter when the surface temperature drops into the low 30's.

I'm not a diver, so I'm not familiar with all of his equipment, but he's obviously got the best stuff money can buy. It's all very fancy and brand new, and he seems peferctly happy to plunge into the freezing cold water. Almost as happy as when he collects the $100 checks from everyone in the marina!
elad9000

Post by elad9000 »

I am about to do my 28 TE bottom in two weeks. Will try the following method that is recommended by Pettit paint.

Bare Steel*: Sandblast or disc sand to a clean, bright fi nish and remove residue with clean, dry compressed air or a clean
brush. Immediately apply two coats of Pettit Protect 4700/4701 High Build Epoxy Primer. Read and follow carefully the instructions
on the 4700/4701 Epoxy Primer label. If the surface to be painted will be prepared using hand tools such as wire
wheels or sanders, clean-off residue and immediately apply one coat of Pettit 6980 Rustlok Steel Primer. Let dry 1-2 hours
and follow with two coats of 4700/4701 High Build Epoxy Primer. Read and follow carefully the instructions for application
and topcoating on both primer labels. Apply two or three finish coats of Ultima SR.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”