• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

More on Water Pump Impellers

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

More on Water Pump Impellers

Post by johnmurray »

Following the advice provided from this list as well as that of my local Yanmar dealer I decided to have the engine cooling water pump impeller changed at the 400 hour mark. (My engine is the Yanmar 315.)
The work was done by a local licenced mechanic who is very familiar with marine diesel engines. While he was ultimately successful, he said that it was the most difficult impeller change he had ever done because access was almost impossible and there was virtually no clearance after the pump cover plate was removed to enable extraction of the old impeller and insertion of the new one. It would be impossible to do this if there was an impeller failure while underway.
Are we missing something? Is there a secret to this?
By the way, the old impeller looked brand new, and I noted that the operating manual suggest an impeller change at the 2000 hour mark!
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Post by Dave39 »

If you'll scroll down this section to Feb. 2008, you'll see my question regarding the same. The only response I got was sufficient for me to do the job myself, though it took more than a few hours. By removing the entire pump assembly, life gets easier. And like you, I noted the 2000 hr. recommended period, but figured that was for on road vehicles that didn't sit for 6 or 7 months unused and finding a "set". I now have a perfectly new appearing impeller for a spare, and I hope to God I never have to change one again.
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

Do on-road engines have impellers? With no raw water to suck up for cooling the chemical coolant mix, there probably is no impeller at all.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: More on Water Pump Impellers

Post by RobS »

johnmurray wrote: Are we missing something? Is there a secret to this?
I am very surprised that he did the impeller change with the pump in place? Two nuts and hoses clamps and the pump slides right off the studs and is in your hand in 5 minutes. This photo shows just how tight it is in place.

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”