• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replace the Water Pump Impeller?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replace the Water Pump Impeller?

Post by johnmurray »

My Albin30FC has the Yanmar 315 engine which is just coming up to 400 hours. The engine and its cooling system is running fine, but it has been suggested to me that I should replace the water pump impeller as form of preventative maintenance. Others say that if runs fine leave it alone.
Any advice on this matter?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

I would replace the impellor if it was me. You do not want the impellor disintegrating and get pieces in your cooling system chambers. They can be difficult, if not impossible to find and will cause cooling system flow problems and you will overheat.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would change the impeller on any color marine engine at a minumum of every other season. For me that might only be 200 to 400 hours, but I change regardless.
I have never had a problem following this plan, never had to chase rubber pieces, etc. Plus it gives me a chance to visually inspect the housing, rear cover, cam, and everything else related.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

I agree with those saying one should change the impeller on a regular schedule. When we purchased Bella Donna we had an overheating warning during the seatrial. It took the yard more than a week to find all the old impeller pieces scattered throughout the cooling system. Who knows how long they had been there. There was a complete impeller already installed, so initially the yard was looking for other reasons for the warning.
Gene Currently Albin "less"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

If I recall the kit is around 50.00? Another 100 in labor since I don't DIY, but well worth it every two years.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I do not have a 315, I have the 6lp-STE which is the 300HP. I change the impeller as well as the oil every 100hrs. These days, that's about every 9 months.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Preventative maintainance is the name of the game here and every other season is the way to go.

Bought my '02 in '04 / 89 hours on the engine. Did the 1st change in '05 (3 seasons of running and 214 total hours) the temp. gauge was rising from 180 to 190. Pulled & replaced the impellar. 1/3 of the vanes were folded over :? & not moving the water the way they should have and a few had slight cracks :shock: in the them. Temp. dropped back to 180 8) . For curiosity, over 3 months before hitting the trash, I left the impellar in the garage to see if the vanes would spring back up / nada / a number of the vanes stayed folded over without showing any flexibility . It was time or should I say "past due" even though the impellar was performing. I replaced again in '07 as the temp. gauge had begun to rise again to mid 180's and though better that time some of the vanes were losing there strength and had begun to fold and lose flexibility. Low and behold I'm now in the 2nd season of that impellar and the temp is begining to creep once again. A little PM next spring before launch is in order. It's just like changing your oil .... PM is the way to go. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It's advisable that you change the impeller at least once a year. For most of us, we can probably get away with less frequent changes, but still, every other year at the very least.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”