• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Treatment?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel Treatment?

Post by AlanD »

I have not been adding any sort of fuel treatment to my Albin this summer, been using her alot so nothing there is really sitting around. However, as winter approaches and the boating slowing down a bit, thought I would ask what everyone does here? Do you add anything to your fuel during normal summer operation? Also when you store your boat for the winter, what do you add into your Diesel?

My boat will be inside heated storage this winter, so I am not sure what to do here.

Thanks for any advice.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I use a lubricity additive but never have used anything in my 20 years of diesel boating that is designed for long term fuel storage.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This was a topic at our Rendezvous last year. Our resident expert (Butch) told us, as I understood, that just about anything needed is already in there.

The first season I had my boat I always added Marvel Mystery Oil because the previous owner told me he always did. Since then I have stopped.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Thanks, that is in line with what my marina mechanic said as well when I asked what all the other boat owners did. Basically, diesel is fine for winter storage with nothing added.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Funny (strange) about the Marvel Mystery Oil...for years Bob Smith has recommended this for all the trawlers with Ford-Lehmans. 1 Qt/100 gal.
This past winter I happened upon an independant lubricity study performed by a diesel truck enthusiast. A very good scientific study using the same method I have used several times in my job as an engineer.
MMO is actually one of the worst additives...it actually degrades lubricity.

John I have that study in pdf if you want to post it someplace....might be good reading for the head.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

My dealer recommended this from the start and I have always used it.

http://www.k100online.com/mm5/merchant. ... _Code=KFTO

I use another of their products, K100 MG, for my lawn tractor and notice a huge difference in starting. The engine also seems to run much smoother. I hope it is doing the same for my diesel but since I've never gone without it I have nothing to compare it to.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Well that reads just like STA-BIL for Diesel! I use Sta-Bil all the time in my Lund, which is probably why I am worried about not dumping stuff in my Albin.

Anybody else use this stuff? It reads like a great product, but if nobody else ever has long term storage problems, it leaves me wondering.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

I use Sta-bil

Post by Legacy »

I am no expert at all but understand microbes can form in long-stored diesel fuel that can grow and plug up your fuel filters. During the summer just make sure you use your boat! During the winter, I top off the tanks (I have 3) and add Sta-bil for diesel.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have read all kinds of opinions about diesel additives and it depends on how you use your boat and the quality of fuel available to you. Some places you might get water in the fuel you buy. I like Diesel Kleen which is highly thought of by truckers and claims to stabilize fuel on their web site: http://www.powerservice.com/dk/ It is available at Wal-Mart and auto stores which are cheaper than marine stores. I also like Valvtec and would use their diesel fuel if it were available here. The microbes need water to grow in so the water dispersant in these products seems like a good idea if you use them regularly. If you have a lot of water in your tank it is the worst thing you can do because the water will blow off the tip of the injectors. If you keep your tanks filled you probably have little water condensation. One person told me that the water/fuel separator filters are so good that they leave their tanks almost empty for the winter so they can add fresh fuel in the spring. It seems to me that one of these additives is cheap insurance.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I don't see any reason to dillute the fuel with snake oils or secret potions.

But to be fair, we use the boat year-round, so we don't deal with the winter lay-up issues that you guys have in the northeast.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John I have that study in pdf if you want to post it someplace....might be good reading for the head.
I'll take it. :) jcollins@albinowners.net.

I use my boat at least twice per week I always top-off when down to a half tank. This past weekend was the only exception in the last year. (see my other post about erratic idle) I have always been warned about condensation. Since changing my glow plugs, I touch the key, and it starts. No issues there.
The last two winters my tank was at 7/8 to allow for expansion. I did not add a stabilizer since my lay-up period is only 3-4 months.
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

John,
Files sent.
I just bought some Sta-bil to use in my lawnmower gas, as I have already had problems this year with the new fuel breaking down and crudding up the carb.
My nephew, who works at a local John Deere dealer told me NOT to use it in 2 cycle gas. He didn't know why he said they (John Deere) told him it wasn't good. I'll need to research that.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I have been using Sta-bil in 2-cycle and 4-cycle gasoline engines for years and have never had a problem with the fuel systems.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

For those of us with Peninsular engins, I called to talk with a factory rep. about the up-coming change in diesel fuel. I think the new federal standards take effect next year, but anyway I was told to use a bio-cide to keep the critters in check especially during hot weather or during periods of non-use. He also said it would be necessary after the fuel change to use an additive made by Stanadyne, to suppliment the lubricity of the fuel. The rest he said should be included in any fuel I might buy. Over the winter I will call again to see if there have been any changes in that reccomendation but also to see where I can purchase the lubricating additive for next year. I wish things would stay status-quo, I have no issues, no smoke no problems, the fuel change can only mean more problems for diesel owners. I just hope it does not turn out to be as bad as the gas situation. :roll: Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Butch? Are you reading this? Any comments?
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”