• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar Engine Problems

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I don't know anything about the engine, but I would certainly demand your money back from the mechanic who gave you the incorrect information. I have had luck with this in the past.

I once took my Tahoe into the local Chevy dealership to investigate an odd clunking noise when shifting and going over bumps. I paid $190 and they found nothing. The mechanic said he couldn't recreate the symptom. As I pulled out of the parking lot, already steaming mad, I heard the clunk. I pulled back into the lot and looked underneath the car. It took me about ten seconds to see that the transmission bolts that attached it to the cross-member were missing. I walked right back in and demanded my money back. They had to have a manager review it, but a few days later I got a call saying I could pick up a check for $190. I did, and promtly cashed it.

The best part, however, was that about two weeks later, I received another $190 check in the mail from them labeled "refund". I cashed that one as well and never felt the slightest twinge of guilt.
jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

Tomcat Rio question re: Fuel Consumption

Post by jpwrist »

No definitive numbers on fuel consumption. I lost one of the receipts. But assuming that the lost receipt was for 70 gallons and it would be about 80 gallons to refill now I get a total of 730 gallons. I calculate we did 1700 miles (2X755 intercoastal mile markers and an extra 200 miles for a side trip to Lake Charles, Pensacola and some other minor side trips). Using those assumptions, fuel consumption comes to 2.3 miles/gallon. Note, the cost for fuel varied from $2.09/gal to $3.09/gal and that was not a price of oil related item but was related to where it was purchased. If you want cheap diesel, go to Intercoastal City, Louisiana; but don't expect to find anything else there.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

jpwrist,
This is what I did when I learned that this problem existed. I contacted my district Yanmar Distributor which in Virginia is Mac Boring. The were very cooperative regarding my concern. I was having the clacking noise.....but I wish I had known about this because from what I gather the clacking noise is your valves hitting the top of the piston. Because of this noise, I then contacted my local Yanmar Service Center ( Deltaville Boat Yard ) and had them contact Mac Boring. They agreed to pay for the replacement parts, which I think included: seals, caps, guides and keepers. This repair was right at $1000.00 and they paid all but $35.00 I also switch to Amsoil because I like synthetic and it's a personal preference for me. After the valve seal work, my engine truly ran like a different engine...much more responsive and much more quiet. I think if I were you I'd find out who the distributor for your engine was and contact them...then work out getting the work done through them.

as far as milage goes...Tom, I'm burning 7 gals. a hour at 16 mph at 2650 rpms....and 10 gal a hour at 20 mph at 3250 rpms....just checked it today with my flow scan.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

What are the tell tail signs people tallk about on the forum

Post by Saltdog »

My engine is also included in the extended warranty which runs out in Oct of 2008. My service tech told me I have the wrong valve seals, and he notified Albin. As of now nothing has been done about it.

To date I have had no problems, but what are the tell tail signs that people have experienced before failure?

Thanks

TS
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

TS,
I don't think contacting Albin will help. Perhaps you should contact Yanmar.
Send a note to chiefrcd.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Did Yanmar offer/cover a fix for the 6LP-STE valve issue?

Post by jms02050 »

I've read quite a bit about the valve issue on the Yanmars, and the settlement doesn't indicate if Yanmar would cover if somebody had the valve issue fixed before bad things happened. I know a large number of folks on this board have engines in the affected range, and I'm curious to how you've addressed (or chosen not to) the issue?
- Was there a "kit" for a fix? If yes, approximate cost?
- Did most of you address the issue or take a wait and see approach?
- Did Yanmar cover a proactive approach?

My concern relates to purchasing a 28TE with this known issue. Knowing what the fix involves, how big a job, and a rough cost would help me sleep a bit. The owners of the boats that I've looked at know nothing of the Yanmar issue.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Return to “Albin Maintenance”