• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Juicing up a 280HP 400ta

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DAVEWAXX
Mate
Mate

Juicing up a 280HP 400ta

Post by DAVEWAXX »

I am looking to get more hp/speed/better fuel consumption from my pennisular.

I talked with the penn guys and they said with the new injectors and fuel dist pump I can get 20-40 more HP.

Question is how can I get more speed??

Props? transmission??
I am open to all feed back.

JP
J.P. Cruz
310-614-8000
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

IMHO, as with everything else, there is usually a trade off. More HP means more stress and wear and tear. I would be concerned that the increase in HP and speed would cause problems somewhere else. Did the Peninsular guys say anything about the rest of the engine and what effect that would have on it? I reciently had a friend with a CAT diesel, that had a mechanic turn up the boost on the turbo to get more HP, that created a ton of problems for him resulting in about $4,500 in repairs to correct what he did. Just be carefull trying to get more from your engine. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'll agree with Denis here. These engines are designed pretty well as is.
What are your numbers? Post what you have so far and let's compare to what others have. What year is your boat and have you changed the props?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DAVEWAXX
Mate
Mate

HP increase

Post by DAVEWAXX »

its a 1994 with the 400ta.

the same engine is 300+HP but newer, I have a 1.56 hurth+- trans, i just wanted to get a little more speed and power for those tuff situations.

already tuned the prop, I heard there is a 5 blade that is pretty good you guys hear of that??
J.P. Cruz
310-614-8000
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I've juiced up a several diesels, mostly Cummins 6BT(A)s, mostly on trucks. IF you do increase hp, make 100% sure you add a pyrometer to monitor exhaust Gas Temp and understand the manufacturer's limits for that engine.
With marine diesels it's a duty cycle issue as well, so keep that in mind.
You probably do NOT want to prop it to the max...rather leave the engine slightly underloaded...another way to protect yourself.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”