• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

Post by jcollins »

It was a little snotty yesterday. I felt the trim tabs were not responding as usual. When I got back to the marina and shut down the engine, I was pushing the buttons on the dash to hear them go up/down. I had opened the back hatches so I could hear better. After working the switches up and down I could hear the trim tab motor working. So I'm guessing the tabs are working as well. I'll physically check that today. Then I noticed there was a distinct tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick- in rapid succsession after pushing the buttons (I was not pushing any button at that point). I quickly determined that I hadn't pissed off the admiral to the point of installing a bomb so I was o.k. there. Anyway, this is not TICK-TICK-TICK like a bomb. It's tick-tick-tick-tick- like your holding down the starter button on your gas grill. When I turned off the DC power it stopped.

Since I've ruled out explosive devices, any thoughts?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Sounds like it could be a fuel pump or something like that. Were you able to identify the source of the noise?
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Mariner wrote:Sounds like it could be a fuel pump or something like that. Were you able to identify the source of the noise?
Didn't think of that. It was so hot I put if off. Today I'll start the engine, turn it off, and see what happens. It's hot today too so I'm not sure how long I'll hang around the bilge. Anyone know where the fuel pump is? Is it on top of the tank?
Last edited by jcollins on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

At various times I've heard ticking noises as an engine cools. Have heard it with a number of different engines, including jet engines. It was the metals reacting to thermal stresses. Could it be that is what you are hearing?

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Gene,
Sorry. I thought I replied to this but I guess I didn't click on submit.

That's a good idea but it stopped when I turned off the battery switch.

Yes. I have heard that before around other engines. As I recall the ticking is not consistant. Changes speed and pitch as the metal cools?
Last edited by jcollins on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

tic,tic

Post by Jack28 »

I had a Bertram before my Albin and I would hear a tic when I went in the engine room. I found I had left the depth sounder on and it made the noise. JACK
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: tic,tic

Post by jcollins »

Jack28 wrote:I had a Bertram before my Albin and I would hear a tic when I went in the engine room. I found I had left the depth sounder on and it made the noise. JACK
Thanks for that suggestion. I did have a new sounder installed this spring. The through-hull is in that area. The electronics were on at that time. Maybe? I'll check.

Thanks again,
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”