• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

small suggestions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bob
Gold Member
Gold Member

small suggestions

Post by Bob »

Expierienced boaters please don't read. Novices only ! Two very small suggestions that might help someone. June was the birthday of owning a 27AC for l year. Two things that I've done is: made a board (lxl0) that fits in the teak trim around the engine compartment, running bow to stern. Screwed blocks on each end so that board would clear radiator cap. Cut it a little short (.25") so that it easily slides left and right. It has proven to be invaluable in removing the alternator (especially the bottom bolt), belts , impeller, and retrieving items dropped in bildge. I also purchased a mechanical claw (grabber) from Harbor Freight for under 10.00, the grabber plus the board have been a big help,I carry them all the time. If everyone is already doing this---never mind!!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Bob,
No suggestion is too small. I'm on my way to Harbor Frieght for the grabber. I can't tell you how many times I dropped my beer in there. <kidding>

Thanks for posting.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

John, When you are Harbor freight pick up a magnetic retrieving tool also if you don't have one. if you drop the corkscrew down there it will save some frustration!!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

When you're my size you better have a good grabber and a nice magnet pick up too. I've been using grabbers for years...I also keep a oil absorbing sock in the bilge below the center hatch....it's the only way I can get it out....good ideas all around.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

made a board (lxl0) that fits in the teak trim around the engine compartment, running bow to stern.
Bob,
It's probably my Polish ancestry, but I can't picture this in my minds eye. Post a pic when you get a chance. I don't have a 27 but it may be helpful to some of the other 27 owners. We have a few "lurkers" out there.
John
Bob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bob »

John: More likely my poor description. Will take a pic this weekend. Bob
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I need a picture as well, I have a 27 but don't have teak trim around the engine compartment.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”