• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bilge pumps for 1999 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dowdster
Deckhand
Deckhand

bilge pumps for 1999 28TE

Post by dowdster »

I have 3 bilge pump switches on my consol, "forward bilge pump", "bilge pump", and "aft bilge pump". These are the switches on the console by the helm that contain their own fuses. I was told that while they are in the "off" position, all the pumps are actually in automatic mode, and when they are in "on" position the pumps go manually on. I had a scare today with water in my bilge and realized that they are in fact not in the automatic position when the switch is set to the left. (they did not go on and a slow leak elsewhere allowed water to get dangerously high in the bilges before I discovered it and turned the switches to "on".

Does anybody know about this? possibly they are just wired in wrong?

Thanks.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I have the same set up. This is how mine works.

When I turn the forward bilge swith on the forward pump starts pumping. it also has a float swith in it and will turn on if the level gets to high if the switch is in the off position. It also sounds an alarm.

The one marked bilge pump I always leave on (even when berthed), it powers the float switch to the aft bilge pump and will turn it on automatically if the water gets to high. I have only heard this bilge pump come on automatically once in very ruff seas.

When I switch the aft bilge pump switch to the on position the aft bilge pump starts pumping.

Sounds like your float switches are not working. At least that is where I would start.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bilge Pumps

Post by RicM »

The switches similarly marked on my 03 28TE are momentary switches, ie they are spring loaded and must be held "on" or they snap back to the off position. These are wired in parallel to each pump, so that the float switch can activate the pump regardless of the position of the switch on the dash. All three automatic bilge pumps should be wired directly to the main battery, so that regardless of the position of any switch, including the battery selection switch on multiple battery hookups, the pumps are always "live". I believe failure to do so will void insurance if the vessel sinks. Easy way to check? Clean your bilge with a garden hose.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My setup is like dowdster. My top switch must be on all the time. It controls the float on the front pump and the float on the pump under the engine.
The middle switch is not connected to anything.
The bottom switch runs the engine pump on/off.
I too have a leak under my engine. I'm assuming it's leaking at the packing. Mechanic is coming Tuesday.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mine 2000 is like Ric's. With the battery selector in "OFF" I can manually lift the floats at all 3 pumps and they go on. The 3 dash switches are momentary only, this keeps you from forgetting to shut one off.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”