• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

cleaning running gear in the water

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

cleaning running gear in the water

Post by furball »

Looks like my running gear needs a good cleaning. This weekend, after 2 weeks of no use, RPM's were initially off by almost 400 at WOT. Fuel usage up by 40% and speed was off by 3-4kts. :shock: Things improved some after a short run but I think a good cleaning is in order. I have the diving equipment I need but no experience cleaning the bottom of a boat so I'm looking for whatever tips you can provide. Other than some type of putty knife for scraping, what other tools would be useful? How do I clean and how careful do I need to be about the bottom paint? I put a fresh coat of multi-year Biocide plus on in March. Anytips on cleaning the thruster prop? I can tell by the sound it made when I used it that it has some growth as well. Anything I should not do would be very helpful :)
Thanks,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

suctioncup handle

Post by Legacy »

Hi there. You will need a suction cup handle to pull yourself along the bottom. A good stiff bristled brush will do the trick. Good time to replace zincs and scrub any through hulls. Tie a line around your wrist then to any tools you use. Have fun!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I've done quite a few boats and never used a suction cup handle - a good pair of scuba fins keep you were you want to be - but the suction cup handle may be an added bonus - don't know, never tried it. Be sure to do it on the hook, not the drift, so find somewhere with a slight current. The slight current is needed to keep the cloudy water you will generate continually moving away from you while you work. Make sure you run a tag line off the stern, the floating yellow poly is best, in case you miss the ladder, especially if the current picks up.

2 weeks growth is new so I can't imagine anything over a stiff bristle brush will be needed. To play it safe I'd bring bristle brushes, wire brushes and scrapers and put a wrist lanyard on each and put them in a mesh catch bag tied off one of the cleats so you can switch out as needed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I wonder if a pressure washer wand would work underwater? I'll bet it would take you for quite a ride!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Mariner wrote:I wonder if a pressure washer wand would work underwater? I'll bet it would take you for quite a ride!
You'd better make it a super-size suction cup handle :D
Last edited by RobS on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Diving

Post by RicM »

Rob....

I know you've done a lot of diving, what would you suggest for a simple scuba outfit for bottom checks, diving on the anchor, etc. My dad used to have a small bottle he used for such stuff.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Diving

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Rob....

I know you've done a lot of diving, what would you suggest for a simple scuba outfit for bottom checks, diving on the anchor, etc. My dad used to have a small bottle he used for such stuff.
Ric,

A small bottle was probably a 30 cubic foot pony bottle. But you would still at minimum need a regulator with a pressure gauge and then a BCD (bouyancy compensating device) (an inflatable vest in non-diving terms) to mount the tank and control your position (depth) in the water.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall that you are certified (atleast not for diving :D ) It's obvious that you are above-average with hands-on technical abilites and have a high knowledge of how things work, etc. so the gear would not be a problem for you. However, I would suggest a basic open water scuba class. PADI offers an eLearning certification that allows you to complete all of your "classroom" work independently via the web and then you complete your in-water drills and check-out dives with a local shop. I searched Wickford and found several shops less than 20 miles from you. Depending on your schedule and the dive shops schedule you can get this done in as soon as one weeks time. The dive shop can offer you some gear choices, and I could also help you in any decisions. For your intentions, a new mask, fins & snorkel would be in order and then most dive shops have rental gear which they sell off on a period basis which may be an option for you.

I’m not trying to complicate your question but even a 20ft dive to free a stuck anchor (or retrieve an overboard Accurate Reel :shock: ) can quickly become a life-threatening situation. To become certified for simple diving is fun and easy and I do think you will find it interesting as I know you are a "learning is fun” kinda guy like myself.

Here’s the PADI link – check it out and stop into a local dive shop and inquire within…

Hope this helps.

http://www.padi.com/padi/en/sd/learntodive.aspx
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Diving

Post by RicM »

Rob...

I knew you'd have the low down and know how to do it right. I will check out the PADI and the local shops. I am well aware of the dangers involved as my Dad gave up diving after a friend died under the ice. I'm an over cautious mariner and would surely be the same underwater.

Ric
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Ric,
I'm glad you appreciated my reply and that I wasn't just being a PIA. Here I am ready to splash - Take this photo to the dive shop and tell them "I want 2 of everything" :D

If you really enjoy it you can start Spearfishing or Underwater Photography

Or Antique Bottle Diving

Or adding to your ground tackle collection

Or bringing home dinner

This bug was over 11lbs but I cannot take credit for it. I could not mate that day but I went down to the dock to weep a bit

Or you can just clean the bottom of your boat :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OOOOHHHH scallops!

Post by RicM »

I hadn't even thought of whole scallops! I had them once in Newfoundland... giant scallops with the roe sac as big as a middle finger, sauteed in butter, uh! To die for! I have been trying for years to find a source for whole scallops and they just do not exist in the US as far as I can find. Never thought of getting them myself!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I'll never forget the first time I seen one swim :shock: Really cool, like Pac Man of the Ocean. Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmMS_a7Q9I
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Or you can just buy yourself one of these things

http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/

We use em down here to do shallow water for lobster!
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks all :)
Rick, you use a suction cup on alblative paint? I would think it would pull free. Neat idea though, I'll have to start looking for a suction cup to try it.
Rob, 2 weeks growth probably isn't a good description. Two weeks ago when I ran her, I didn't notice any change from normal RPM/Fuel/Speed numbers, but I've had her in since March15th. In hind-sight I used the wrong paint on the tabs, I think they're my main problem.
On another note, love the drysuit. I've always wanted one. Now that I have a dive platform, it may be time to reconsider.
Thanks for tips
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

furball wrote:
On another note, love the drysuit. I've always wanted one. Now that I have a dive platform, it may be time to reconsider.
Thanks for tips
John
I agree, it's surely worth every penny. I can't stress enough the the benefits of the drysuit, in both comfort and safety - just don't pee in it :D

Good luck with the bottom. I'll be in the water next week and plan to give mine a look over..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”