• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Keep throwing belts

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Keep throwing belts

Post by JoeH »

I have a Volvo KAMD 300 in my 2004 Albin TE flush deck. In the past 14 months I have replaced the V-belt (alternator) and the serpentine (water pump) belt twice. Each time the serpentine belt disentergrates it wipes out the v-belt. Volvo now tells me the serpentine belts (of which there are two, the other one drives the compressor) should be replaced once every year. I've been boating over 20 years now and this sounds absured. In my opinion an engine belt should last several years if it's maintained properly.

Any one in this group have a Volvo with a similar problem, if so I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H

Hope to see you all in Boston this coming weekend!!!!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I don't own a Volvo but replacing belts once a year doesn't sound right. I would have to see that in the manual. It does sound like something is out of alignment.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Replacing a belt once a year doesn't seem out of line to me. But, of course, it all depends on how many hours you put on the engine. Does the belt have an auto-tensioner, or do you tension it by hand? Many people tend to over-tighten belts, which is why engine builders have started going to the auto-tensioners, to remove the possibility for human error. Over tensioned belts will fail much sooner than a properly tensioned one.
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Keep throwing belts

Post by JoeH »

The belts are adjusted for tension by hand. I was told by a Volvo manager at a trade show to keep the belt closest to the engine very tight (the water pump belt) . The Volvo service manager indicated to keep the tension tight but not too tight since I might burn up the bearings.

Oh well !!! so much for relying on Volvo for help.

Joe H.

I just try and monitor the belts after each trip. What a way to instill confidence in Volvo engines.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Joe ...
I had my diesel mechanic down to the boat for a little maintenance and I shared your plight with him. He was very familiar with your problem. He said he had a couple of commercial guys with your same engine and the belt problem ... and these guys put 3000 plus hours on per season .... long and the short he suggested having your mechanic put a straight edge pulley to pulley and you will see one pulley recessed 1/8" ... he shimmed the one pulley with washers and problem solved. I hope this will help.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:he suggested having your mechanic put a straight edge pulley to pulley and you will see one pulley recessed 1/8" ...
Kevin,
I went on Joe's boat at the Boston event to look at the belts to see if I could eye up the alignment but when he showed me the limited access I soon realized it would not be an easy look see. Hopefully your info helps Joe nip this in the butt - I feel for him as I know this must be quite frustrating, especially now that I had the chance to sit in his boat with him and discuss the situation...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”