• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Sound

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine Sound

Post by RicM »

I have a 2003 TE with the Yanmar 6LP motor. I have noticed that above 2800 RPM when fully warmed (running home) I hear strange sound that almost seems like the engine is "skipping", an irregular "bh , bh, bhbh bh" sound. Now I know that a diesel can't really "skip" and it feels like the engine is pushing smoothly. The exhaust shows the usual bit of white "steam" like emission, and all gauges show normal. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be water action changing the exhaust note at speed when the boat is in a certain attitude. I tried trimming up and down with no apparent change.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Ric,
I think it is the exhaust, and water riding up over the opening changing the tone. I have the same sound changes on mine
When my brother had his Albin in the mid-90's with a Peninsula, the exhaust was on the starboard side and had no stainless ring around the exhaust port.
Quite often I rode out back in a deck chair, and the sound was more pronunced.
Here is my attempt to decribe:
Wum, wum, wumwum, wum, wum.....:)
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I notice the same sound in my exhaust and it depends on the wave height and direction. Watch the exhaust and you will see it covered with water and then blow it out in a pattern similar to the exhaust note changes. If you stand near the exhaust you will change the angle of the boat and the sound.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ric, play with the tabs to change the exhaust height when running and see if the noise is effected, riding it starboard down should keep the exhaust free from water flow interference.

When you hear the noise check the tach - does the needle fluctuate at all or stay steady?

You mention "running home" - was this coming from Boston on the rough water?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mine is more like Wum, wum, wumwum, wum,WAP, wum.....

When friends pull up next to me on the starboard side they get sprayed.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

strange sounds

Post by fairtide »

Walter Mitty would have written that it was pocketta-pocketa-kweep and that he swooped over the side to repair what would have resulted in destruction of a large cruise ship. For those who I've confused, see James Thurber's short story, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. For serious anwsers to the strange sounds, I would agree with what has already been offered.
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

strange sounds

Post by fairtide »

Walter Mitty would have written that it was pocketta-pocketa-kweep and that he swooped over the side to repair what would have resulted in destruction of a large cruise ship. For those who I've confused, see James Thurber's short story, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. For serious answers to the strange sounds, I would agree with what has already been offered.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I noticed this type of sound once on our last boat. It got worse with time. At some point it became clear that it was a clogged fuel filter, as the occasional "miss" grew to be an overall constant loss of power. I replaced the element and it went away.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”