• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fishing Rods

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

trueblue

Fishing Rods

Post by trueblue »

My wife has issue with me keeping my fishing rods on the aft bunk in her cabin on my 1999 28TE.Anyone have an idea to hang rods out of the way and secure?
Trueblue[/img][/list][/list][/code][/quote]
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's a berth?

Post by RicM »

Thats what sold my wife on the Albin design. She looked at the quarter berth and said hey, there's a place to put the fishing rods and get them off the V berth!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I have been pondering this for 3 seasons. Where to put the poles. The wire rigs, spinning gear, trolling gear, and more gear. I have been looking at the Taco and Lee rod holder sets shown on the links I've attached. I am thinking 6 (more if they'll fit) of the Taco holders or maybe the Lee's :roll: set toward the bow in front of the Bomar hatch running port to starbord. That would certainly help to clean things up. This will be a good dock project.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... ers.html http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,31298.htm
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

ChiefRCD has rod holders mounted to the top of his pilothouse. See this post:

http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=467

and scroll down to the (I think) 4th post. Not "secure" if you mean locked up but out of the way.

Same setup MIGHT work in the quarter berth. I need to give this some though as well, the wife does not appreciate everything sitting "on the bed"

I've been trying to come up with some kind of under deck storage but I don't think there's any space with enough length for any but the shortest rods.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

A friend engineered these for me and I cut them out on a cnc mill. They work really well. The only problem is watching TV which I do very rarely.

They are made out of a nylon material (faster to machine and relatively light weight).

Jack

Post by trueblue »

Thanks
trueblue
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We hang ours under the cockpit cover. They're dry but not secure. The funny thing is that thanks to the lip around the cover, most people don't even notice they're there. So I don't really worry about them being stolen. Even I often forget where they are looking all over the boat, but never glancing up to see them hanging right above my head.
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod storage

Post by Capt Ron »

I had the same issue with rod storage, rod butts sticking out of the quarter berth, getting in the way of refridgerator door and shins.
I finally mounted rod holders off the ceiling in the same area as JackK's. I used a model I found in Cabela's which consists of two aluminum rails and 10 plastic holders. This setup isn't as pretty as Lee's but costs a lot less and works fine.
I store 5 seven footers and 3 shorter rigs as the cabin narrows as it goes forward.
Owner of 28' TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Du-Bro rod holders

Post by Pitou »

I picked up 3 - 3 packs of Du-Bro white rod holders at Boaters World yesterday. They are the same concept as the Lees and Tacos, but alot less $ 7.99 / 3 pack. They consist of a ring for the butts and a hook with a rubber nubbed keeper for the tips. They are also available on a track. I plan to use my skills :roll: of being able to keep a straight line and mount them in the cabin ahead of the BOMAR without a track on the ceiling hopefully for a cleaner look and alternating them butt, tip, butt, tip etc. in order to fit at least 7 sets. This is just another option at a reasonable price.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/479 ... -and-racks
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Using Pitou's idea I went to Boatersworld and got something very similar. There is a track where you can slide in various rings and such. I mounted it under the roof to the port and it seems to keep things out of the way. Even some tall friends do not get hit in the head with the rods there...

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

A recent thread was asking what to do with those fishing rods in a 28 ...

I never posted photos of the finished product from this thread a year ago.
Better late than never ..... I ended up using teak battens and attaching the Du-bro's to it and screwing them to the ceiling up front towards the bow. I was able to squeeze eight rods in. I don't hang the the gold reels on this system .... the Du-bros are only plastic .... maybe Lees or Tacos would be better for that job ..

Never too late for this thread .....

[/img]Image

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Nice work Pitou
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Kevin,
You shouldn't leave that chum rag on the table in the cabin - it'll stink the place up!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

LOL :lol:
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:Kevin,
You shouldn't leave that chum rag on the table in the cabin - it'll stink the please up!
The "YANKEE FAN" took the bait ..... I had one with and without. I was wondering how long it would take. :D Rob you were easy. :wink:

But seriously, It looks like many of us have dealt with the fishing addiction and found a spot for all those "necessary" rods .... keeps the Admiral happy and the dinette available for it's designed intention.

Tight lines .....
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”