• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Center Opening Windshield-Albin 28

zanzibar

Center Opening Windshield-Albin 28

Post by zanzibar »

We need replacement parts for the hardware for the center opening windshield of our 2004 Albin 28. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

zanzibar,
Welcome to the group. Here's a recent outfit in the links section.

http://replacementboatparts.com/

Worth a try...search around the board. You may find better information.

Once again, welcome aboard.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

BOMAR who mde the windows and front venting window might be able to help??? It might be worth a call ..... they may know the hardware source.
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a ... enDocument

I know I came across the hardware in one of my web searches .... now where was it?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Zanzibar,

I've been looking for information on this, in fact I'm going to speak to somoene today about it. I'll let you know what I find out.

In the mean time, I have another question I'd like to put out to the group that has to do with the pilothouse windows. I've been experienceing some paint chipping (some the size of a half dollar) on the metal frame of the windows - has any one experienced this? Recommendations?

Cheers.
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, MA

Post by DrNickS »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:Hey Zanzibar,

...I've been experienceing some paint chipping (some the size of a half dollar) on the metal frame of the windows - has any one experienced this? Recommendations?
Me too. It started a few years ago on my 2001. I called Albin and was told, "We didn't make the windows, call the supplier." I forgot their name because they said they no longer make the windows for Albin and were not interested in support. The window supplier was changed in the 2002 model, I believe.

However, I had the exact problem in my 1986 Mainship with the same design window. It started in the drain area where the paint does not "wrap" around the outside edge. My dock neighbor has a painting robot at his shop and said he can fix the problem but I do not want to take everything apart.

I will probably paint with Interlux Brightside, one-part polyurethane with proper priming per my friend's instructions. The color is probably Hatteras Off-White 1990, Part # 4218 QT which is a better match than the regular Hatteras Off-White. It will be easy to touch up in the future.

Has anyone tried to match the gelcoat color of the darker decks? I do not have the white deck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

zanzibar,

I had no luck with the window hardware....I've been looking for the extension/brace and west marine seems to have something very similar (if not exact) that I plan to spec out today.

DrNickS,

Yuppo....thats exactly what I have....the blistering which leads to cracking and chipping. Based on where the paint all ready fell off there appears to be no priming on the metal. Which leads me to believe this is the root of the problem.

Is your boat a true off-white or an eggshell? Obviously now with Albin out of buisness matching hull colors is going to be tricky.

Cheers.
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DrNickS »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:zanzibar,
Is your boat a true off-white or an eggshell? Obviously now with Albin out of buisness matching hull colors is going to be tricky.
Cheers.
I have seen Albins in two variations of white and mine is the darker version of the two. Evercoat gelcoat scratch patch is a perfect match and comes in little 1 ounce tubes for about $10. I use it for small gelcoat touch ups and as a guide for matching the window frame color when choosing paint. That is how I narrowed the color down to the Interlux Hatteras Off White 1990. I have not yet purchased or tested it. Has anyone found another acceptable match?
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DrNickS »

DrNickS wrote:
Cheers.
I narrowed the color down to the Interlux Hatteras Off White 1990 (#4218). I have not yet purchased or tested it. Has anyone found another acceptable match? DrNickS
In answer to my own question, I tested the Interlux Brightside Polyurethane in Hatteras Off White 1990 (#4218) and it is a half shade too light for the sliding window frame. It matches the gel coat well which is just a bit lighter than the window frame. I will try the regular Hatteras Off White (#4208) on the frames in an few days and post my results.
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Boy, does that blistering under the window drain ever look familiar!
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That kind of blistering is usually caused by corrosion of the aluminum underneath the paint. If it is powder coated, this is a sign of bad powder coat. If it's painted... well, it's a sign that it's painted, rather than powder coated. LOL Good powdercoat should be resistant to scratching and prevent corrosion. I'm surprised the window manufacturer didn't have any interest in providing any support. I can understand if their warranty is expired, but you'd at least think they'd offer to sell you a replacement.
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Matching your deck color

Post by DrNickS »

DrNickS wrote:
DrNickS wrote:
Cheers.
I narrowed the color down to the Interlux Hatteras Off White 1990 (#4218). I have not yet purchased or tested it. Has anyone found another acceptable match? DrNickS
In answer to my own question, I tested the Interlux Brightside Polyurethane in Hatteras Off White 1990 (#4218) and it is a half shade too light for the sliding window frame. It matches the gel coat well which is just a bit lighter than the window frame. I will try the regular Hatteras Off White (#4208) on the frames in an few days and post my results.
OK, here is what I found. The Interlux Brightside Polyurethane in Hatteras Off White #4208 is a little darker and a better match on the window frames than the Hatteras Off White 1990 #4218. It goes on nicely and self levels very well. I did not use an aluminum primer since I was just testing the color. Soon I will do the sanding, priming, etc.
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks for the good info! How I love this website!
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Matching your deck color -Part 2

Post by DrNickS »

I found another great option to the Interlux Brightside Polyurethane. According to my paint store, a local harbor master has used a product by California Paint to touch up flaking metal on his boat and has been happy enough with the results to use it on several occasions.

The product is California Larcoloid (oil based) and is said to be rust inhibiting, self-priming (on non-ferrous metals) and can be used on boats. And it can be custom tinted. I had it tinted and it is an exact match to the Interlux Brightside Polyurethane in Hatteras Off White #4208. It is under $20 a quart. I will try it and post the results.

If anyone would like a sample of my custom tint let me know and I can paint some on a piece of wood and mail it to you. If you're like me, you may not want to remove your window frame and haul it to the paint store. To get an idea of the color you can view a very close match on the California standard color chart - they call it #85 Birch white which is very close to the custom tint I have.
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Re: Center Opening Windshield-Albin 28

Post by OldDemps »

Does anyone have a source or know the name of these type of screws/bolts that anchor the top of the latches for holding the center windshield open???

The stainless bolt and nut together create a shoulder which the window latch pivots on. There is minimal clearance on the outboard side of the latch to use a standard stainless bolt.
The part pictured fits in from the outboard basically flush so it misses the window casing when window opens out.

Any suggestions welcome

See the photos

THANKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Center Opening Windshield-Albin 28

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would try and find a Chicago screw...might work