• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus Bow Thruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by JoeH »

Splashed today. And what a splash it was, Soon after I was in the water my Bow Thruster quit. It's a 55kgf Vetus on my 2004 Albin 28. I won't tell you all the gory details of what happened next when trying to dock with a 20 k wind. However what happens is that it only runs for approx. 4 seconds at a fraction of the power before it stops. I will wait briefly, try again and all I get is a clicking sound. Now I replaced the 4D house battery this year and cleaned all the thruster's electrical connections. Can anybody advise my next move.

I had a 36' Egg Harbor before the Albin, oh how I miss the twin screws.

Thanks,

Joe H
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Was the problem only after you did the battery and cleaned the connectors? Maybe something was left loose? If electrically it checks out - Could something be causing the prop to bind up? Might be worth a quick dive to make sure the tunnel is clear and she spins freely. Dave Barrett at Vetus America in Maryland 410-712-0740 is a great tech guy. I did quite a bit of servicing on my unit this Spring and he was a great help.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

RobS wrote:Was the problem only after you did the battery and cleaned the connectors? Maybe something was left loose? If electrically it checks out - Could something be causing the prop to bind up? Might be worth a quick dive to make sure the tunnel is clear and she spins freely. Dave Barrett at Vetus America in Maryland 410-712-0740 is a great tech guy. I did quite a bit of servicing on my unit this Spring and he was a great help.
Thanks for the quick response Rob. the prop does spin (very slowly) for about 3 secs. I spoke with Dave earlier today, he suggested it was probably one of three things. 1. the solenoid, 2. the brushes or 3. the motor may need to be cleaned. I'll investigate all of the above this weekend.

Have a great Memorial day on the water.

Joe H
hjonas
Mate
Mate

Post by hjonas »

My experience with Vetus has been great. I lost the thruster in the CC Canal went into Sandwich and called. They overnighted the cotter pin and talked me through the install the next day. I suggest you call them and explain the problem. Also everyone should carry spare cotter pin kits. It is really an easy task to change one.
Hank Jonas
On-Rush
2004 28 TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”