• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Albin 28 TE Flush Deck Owner

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
jimmeyers

New Albin 28 TE Flush Deck Owner

Post by jimmeyers »

I'm the proud owner of a brand new 2007 Albin TE Flush Deck (Hull #929) purchased at Chesapeake Yacht Sales (CYS) in Deltaville, Virginia. I live on Virginia's Eastern Shore in the little town of Machipongo -- about 20 miles north of where the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) connects to the Delmarva Peninsula from the Norfolk/Virginia Beach side of the bay. For those of you familar with the lower Chesapeake, I keep my Albin docked at Bay Creek Marina in Cape Charles, Virginia.

My house is also brand new and sits on 6 acres right on a "creek" off Chesapeake Bay. My wife and I started building the house as our retirement home early last year, but she was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after we started construction and passed away in November (chemotherapy failed and no bone marrow donor match could be found). My wife was already retired when we started construction, but I ended up delaying my retirement until this coming August. The company I work for moved me around the country quite a bit these past few years, and one assignment was a 6-year stint in New Orleans where my wife and I purchased a 24' center console bay boat. When we planned our retirement, my wife decided that she wanted a boat that was more "offshore worthy". She didn't live long enough to see the Albin delivered, but I named it "Robbin's Nest" in her memory. Green was her favorite color, and it just so happens that Hull #929 is Hunter Green.

Fishing is one of my passions, and we wanted a boat that is well-suited for both fishing and some occasional cruising. The Albin is the ideal compromise. I finally took delivery of my Albin in mid-April because of the time it took the dealer to install the various options I purchased: VHF, chartplotter, autopilot, depth finder, radar, generator, AC/heat, anchor windlass, extra diesel filter, Algae-X fuel scrubber, drop curtains, and a fishing rod rocket launcher.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you in the near future.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Welcome

Post by RicM »

Jim,

That's a touching story. I have realized that life is too short to wait for the perfect boat, this is not a dress rehearsal. My wife told me 2 years ago to figure out what would be the perfect boat for us at this time in our lives (56 yrs), then to go for it. We love to fish, enjoy the occasional overnight, and did one 7 day trip last year. The Albin 28 TE was the only candidate. Too bad you two could not get to know this great boat together.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jim,
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I echo everyone's comment that life is short and we all have to do our best to enjoy friends and family. Congratulations on the Albin and six acres of land. That is unheard of around here. We just purchased 1.6 acres with 200 feet of waterfront. I can't do much with it since it's in a state park but it's ours. We hope to build a small cabin someday.

Consider joining us for the rendezvous in June. Welcome to the group.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Jim: Welcome to the board. Its nice to see another member from the southern Chesapeake area. I also have a main interest in fishing and you will find the Virginia Beach sport fishing web site loaded with useful information: http://vbsf.net/ You are in a great spot for catching the big ones.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Jim, thank you for sharing that. Your boat sounds a great deal like mine, and your passion for chasing fish. If I may ask, how did you install your Rocket Launchers on your boat? I am still struggling on how to mount them on the extended roof.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
hjonas
Mate
Mate

Post by hjonas »

Jim, I would like to extend my welcome as well. When I ordered my A-28 in 2004 I was told that she was only the second boat to be delivered with a generator. Which one did you put in? I assume that it is centerline ahead of the main engine. Mine is an Entec 4kw. and was factory installed. I do extensive cruising with my boat and so added a watermaker this year. All the best with your new boat. Hank Jonas "On-Rush", East Greenwich RI
jimmeyers

Post by jimmeyers »

I also installed an Entec 4kw. The dealer installed it in what was a storage compartment in back of the pilothouse. My rocket launchers are installed on the rear of the extended roof. I'm tall (6'3") and can reach them with no problem. I'm on business travel right now in Washington, DC, but I'll take a picture of the rocket launchers and generator installations when I'm back home this weekend and post them both.
jimmeyers

Post by jimmeyers »

Russ -- thanks for the Virginia Beach sport fishing website!
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Thanks Jim, right now I have not installed any roof rocket launchers but I have mounted 5 on the side rails and hand grab rail for trolling. I usually spread 9 lines when I am out, so never enough rod holders it seems.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Welcome Aboard Jim / Entec 4kw

Post by Pitou »

Jim ... I echo as well ..... "Welcome aboard".

Albin installed and Entec in my engine box 28 at time of build. A word of caution gents .... be sure you have a vented loop installed between the sea water strainer intake and where the intake enters the sound box. My head and exhaust elbow are just ever so slightly below the water line and I learned the hard way damaging the the exhaust valve by leaving the seacock for the raw water intake open while on the hook ...... slowly she became harder starting.

The distributor, ENTEC WEST, advised me to put in the loop to prevent the exhaust elbow from filling and spilling over on to the exhaust valve. I needed to replace the valve, elbow, etc.. The guy at ENTEC was great in troubleshooting with me over the phone. He mentioned that very few of these were installed in the 28's and that he advised ALBIN to install the loop. So the story goes ....."we'll just advise our customers to shut the intake down immediately when not in use." I suppose that could work, but really :roll: .... and I never did get that advice.

Jim & Hank, Hopefully the installation kinks were worked out before your installations.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “New Member Introductions”