• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Continuing Electrical Problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Continuing Electrical Problem

Post by JoeH »

Perhaps you've seen my previous posts regarding a problem I'm having with getting power to my electrical outlets. By the way thanks to those of you who have responded, I'v tried your suggestions with no luck. I finally broke down and had an electrician over today to try and trace the problem. NO LUCK. We know were getting power to the switch panel and the AC power switch is receiving and sending power. However somewhere between the switch and first receptical (next to the sink) which is a new GFI power is not getting through. The link is only about 8' long however the AC wiring is buried behind the paneling. What the H*** is going on. I doubt that there is some kind of fuse in that segment of the line???

Any suggestions as to my next step.

As usual thanks for your assistance.

Joe H
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Are you checking power at the GFI directly at the wire run connected to it or by plugging a device into it? Maybe the loss is at the connection to the outlet or within the outlet itself.

Also, if you disconnect the circuit wiring run at the AC panel and at the outlet and do a continuity test on each conducter that will tell you if there is a problem with the wiring or a break in the circuit between the AC Panel and the outlet.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We know were getting power to the switch panel and the AC power switch is receiving and sending power. However somewhere between the switch and first receptical (next to the sink)
Joe,
You said the first recepticle is next to the sink? I've seen other posts here that mention the first one is next to the helm chair. I'm not a DIYr so don't take my word. Did you check the schematics that are posted here? http://www.albinowners.net/images/te28bulletin.pdf Check out page 11.
Can you replace the old wiring by using it to pull new wire in? Did you replace the switch on the panel? A couple of my mine looked fine but just stopped working.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Joe ..... :? I know how frustrated you must be ..... Does your micro wave spin-up? :idea: I'll be going down to the boat later today to see what happens when I trip the GFCI in the locker next to the sink and see if the micro wave still spins on PITOU. The micro wave outlet might be 1st in line and not GFCI protected. I've been following your quandry with compasion.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Continuity

Post by RicM »

There must be a break in the wire. My suggestion is that someone assumed that the white 3 conductor wire that goes into the covered run is not the same one that comes out the other end of the run and is connected to the outlet. Some one ASSUMED that it was the other end of the same wire, but it is, in fact, not. All the wire runs on the Albin 28 are actually pretty accessible and easy to open & close (believe me, I've had them all open since Feb). I think you are going to have to physically trace that wire from the switch to the outlet.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I tend to agree with Rick .... the wire must have been cut, but I was curious if the loop first went to the GFCI in the locker because it is accessible and back pedaled to the micro for a short run. I went to the boat ... guess what .... my GFCI is no longer working and cannot be tripped and all outlets work. Joe .... thanks for peaking my interest. Otherwise I never would have known.

I have a very clean copy of the 110 schematic and it shows one continuous loop starting at the AC panel and traveling to the micro onto the locker continueing forward and around to starbord. As Ric says the access to the loop is not very difficult. My recommendation is to chase onward from the AC breaker until you find you problem. You will have to remove the microwave to access that outlet. Good Luck.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

wiring

Post by RicM »

I was rather wary of pulling the wiring apart, but it's really not bad. All the wiring starts in the area the that goes from the electric panel down to the port side. The wiring goes forward behind the trim panel. The upholstered buttons pop off the trim panel with a screw driver and all the wires go forward behind that panel into the area behind the microwave. Pop of that trim panel and trace the wires forward, it's not hard.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Electrical problems

Post by JoeH »

For those of you who have been following the saga of my AC electrical outlet problem I've finally found a fix to the tune of $100. Had another electrician look at the problem yesterday. What he found was that the new GFI which I replaced in the firat place was defective. (purchased at Lowes). I made an assumption that cost me dearly. I guess I've learned the hard way.

Again thanks to all that offered suggestions along the way. The "Albin Owners Group" is a great site and I wish you all smoothe sailing and a great summer on the water.

Joe H
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Joe,
Glad to hear your issue is resolved. No one would have thought that a newly purchased outlet would be bad. :x
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”