• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refrigeration A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Refrigeration A25

Post by Beta Don »

Sunsetrider wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm For now, I am spending, spending . . .
Well, you know what they say - B.O.AT. . . . Break Out Another Thousand! :lol:

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I've decided to go with an installation method suggested by Al Castledine of Albineers of BC. Some of his pics below:
Al_1.jpg
Al-3.jpg
Al used strong side sliders on the bottom, because he couldn't afford to give up space on the sides. I don't have that limitation - my issue is height. But I believe the 150 lbs-plus of a fridge/freezer full of vittles, bouncing over the SeaRay wakes, will have much stronger support with this method.

I have cleared the icebox and the pic below shows my open available space. Plenty wide enough but I will need to cut a section out of the bottom, about an inch plus some notching for the support slats. What hand tool will be most appropriate for the job?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Jigsaw or oscillator type, maybe (Fein if you have a wheelbarrow of extra cash laying around.) Use masking tape where the foot of the jigsaw will ride over the exposed fiberglass so you don't scratch it. Keep an eye on the tape so it doesn't just hang up on the foot and scratch everything anyway.

Now if you mean HAND tool, as in human powered...a fine toothed hacksaw blade will work for a while. I often remove blade from frame and either tape it up good or let it stick out from the blade holder in the hacksaw. Pulls better than pushing, just don't take too big a bite.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Thanks WC
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

WillieC wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:09 pm Jigsaw or oscillator type, maybe (Fein if you have a wheelbarrow of extra cash laying around.)
Harbor Freight sells a similar tool although nowhere near the quality of a Fein of course

https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillati ... 62279.html

I've worn out a couple of these over the years, but they've done lots of work for me before they died. Excellent for cutting precision holes in wood, fiberglass and wallboard. At just $20 ($16 if you have a 20% off coupon) they're almost throwaway tools, but they work really well while they last

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That's good to know, Don. I have never owned one of these type of tools, however my son used a Fein in his own business and managed to wear one out fairly quickly, but he was using it every day. HF is great for one time use tools and if it lasts for two projects, you win.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Changed my mind. On reflection, I have excess side space and insufficient height. Makes no sense to take 2.5 inches out of the bottom fiberglass and leave inches vacant at the sides. So I am going to go with the side slide - I have ordered up the 400-pounders with mechanical stops. I can use the hardwood pieces that I have already cut, and my buddy down the road has a table saw to dado the side slots for the bottom panel. Going to use 1/2 inch ply sides, back, and bottom. Will need to stay off the rum to figure out the measurements, pretty tight tolerances so my skil saw won't do the job.

I almost spent $54 on a cutter per the above comments but decided to try the jigsaw and hack saw (keyhole style) first) for the minimal fiberglass removal.

Coming this week: solar panel, controller, batteries, battery monitor. To say nothing of boat LAUNCH.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

OK I hate to be a pest but I am in a quandary with absolutely minimal carpentry skills/judgment. I need to decide between the bottom slider vs side slider dilio. The facts, just the facts:

Side Sliders
cut 2 inches off the bottom fiberglass/wood
Cut the side fiberglass to the edge to 32", no room for error
Need to construct a tray with 3 sides and a bottom, including dado cuts to the sides and back (yikes)
*Slider when extended in upright position rather than flat - more strength*

Bottom Sliders
No cut needed off the side fiberglass
Cut 3 " off the bottom: 1.5 full cut. 1.5 notches for the slider and slider support slats
*No sides needed for the bottom tray*
*Solid bottom support since the hardwood slats (not just the sliders) support the tray.*
Slider lies on side, not as strong (although tested by another A25 owner)

Note: the sliders, which I now have, are rated for 400 lbs and have a mechanical stopper for open/close positions.

Reminder pic of starting point:
Open SPace Sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

I would carefully look over the sliders - I'll bet they were only designed for vertical use and surely the 400 pound weight limit is for when they are vertical - Gotta be much less than that when mounted horizontally. Do the bearings in them function as designed when used horizontally? Maybe an e-mail to the manufacturer is in order and go with whatever they say?

I think I would design my mounting to use them in a vertical plane

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I have the same concern. Before deciding I will try for more input from the guy in BC who did it that way. I would like to hear how his is working out and for how long now. I am less concerned about how the vertical install will require so much hacking as I am in my own incompetence in building sides to the platform with sufficient strength in the base.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

The A25 owner who used this method advised that it has held up without issue for 6 years now. I received the sliders and together they seem to weigh over 10 lbs. They are very HD both laterally and otherwise. I feel confident that they will work well lying down. They seem to slide equally well over the ball bearings in either position. And as for strength - in the vertical position, the sliders are held to the support slabs by a couple of #10 x 3/4-in.screws; in the horizontal position, the fridge and sliders are instead supported by the 3/4 in. hardwood support slabs.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Fridge/freezer, 265W panel, batteries, MPPT 30A controller and battery SOC gauge. Now have t figure out how to hook this stuff up!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

OK, time for an update as the Project moves apace. My dock neighbours must be wondering where my head is at after watching me struggle with mechanical (fueling) issues all last summer, and here we are again with the power tool noises while they socialize.

But finally, subject to figuring out to insert one single screw from the slider up into the tray (I just can't reach it under there!) I am ready to place the fridge and new batteries into the boat. Awaiting delivery of solar panel brackets from the US and A before tackling the panel install itself. So below are a few pics showing how I ended up cutting, gluing and screwing. I think it it a strong and stable installation. If you disagree, hold your tongue, it's too late! LOL The tank cover is off so I could install a screw up through the slider to the tray. I still can't reach the far side to get the second screw in. I will remove the engine cover and see of that gives me enough access to get that done. It doesn't need much to hold it, but it does need to prevent the tray from moving / swinging horizontally .
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Recap: fridge/freezer installed, 2 new golf cart batteries (230 AH) replacing former 115 AH house battery, 260W solar panel hooked up, 30A MPPT controller. The battery monitor state of charge meter reads 100% after running the fridge at 6C on battery alone from Thursday morning to Saturday afternoon. Mix of sun and cloud, mostly cloud. I will go back to the marina mid-week for an update.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Looking and sounding good, Sunsetrider! 6C, hmmm 2C+30, around 40F? That'll chill the libations!
Keep up the good work.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”