• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refrigeration A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Refrigeration A25

Post by kerrye »

Can’t address the other issues but ours weighs 62lbs empty and my wife and I didn’t have any trouble getting it into the boat. If I were you I’d hook that Engel to a battery at your house and measure it’s energy consumption. I was astonished at how little power ours used
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I think we're just going to go with regular ice coolers. I've upgraded/replaced my old West Marine branded (by Igloo) 50 qt Ultra Cold that I've had for years with a new 54 qt Igloo Marine Elite cooler. The old cooler was OK if getting a bit funky. I had replaced broken plastic hinges and front latch with pieces of thick leather, added weather stripping around the top edge, but the lid had gotten warped over the years & even with weather stripping added would not completely seal on one end.

(see WM video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2n2NBTgR8

As a secondary cooler I picked up a 26 qt Ozark Trail High Performance/ Yeti clone from Wal*Mart, advertised as being a "4.5 day" cooler. The idea being fill the Ozark all the with extra ice, preferably block ice when available & it leave closed except when taking some ice from that cooler to add to the larger Igloo cooler. The Ozark cooler may also end up doubling as a step for climbing down into the cockpit, since with the stock style canvas enclosure we have to enter via the aft cabin top.

That and minimizing the amount of food needing refrigeration down to shopping for fresh meats & fish every few days & ice for beer & drinks. Otherwise going all "Lin & Larry Pardey"/back packer minimalist. For example, Ova Easy dried eggs, freeze dried hash browns & pre-cooked shelf stored bacon for breakfasts, heat & eat rice/quinoa packets and rice/millet ramen (not the cheap Top Ramen stuff), baked beans, instant mashed potatoes for sides, stocking canned chili, tuna, salmon, soups for lunches, etc. Instead of fresh milk on cereal we'll use quart size cartons of Almond milk that can be stored at room temperature until opened. Also, with the cold water environment of the Pacific NW we can store some beer & pop under the floor panel of the port side seat locker right up against the bottom of the boat to slightly pre-chill.
ozark cooler.jpeg
igloo.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Good luck on finding block ice, maybe it is more available out west but on a recent trip on the east coast of fl/ga we NEVER found block ice anywhere
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We have on occasion found block ice in BC & Pacific NW. Of course we have to take what we can get. We keep a 6 point ice chipper on the boat to chip bits off ice blocks for drinks.
icechipper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I can report that in upstate NY summer weather a 100 watt panel and two golf cart batteries are adequate to power the 60l Unique frig/freezer with no additional source of charging

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”