• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Resolution mid-summer check in

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Resolution mid-summer check in

Post by gerygarcia »

Hi all

Just wanted to say hello to all the Albineers in here. The board has been pretty quiet lately. I guess everyone is out boating (hopefully)
Hope you are enjoying your summer!

Since my no show to the AOG rendezvous, I have been trolling around the Great South Bay. Have YET to dock anywhere. Always been on the hook this summer.

Places I have been anchoring:
Connetquot River, Hemlock Cove, Gilgo and Democrat Point.

Future (bigger than normal) trip:
Block Island Boat Basin over Labor Day Weekend. (Deposit from Rendezvous transferred to this) - Anyone else in BI that weekend????

Seen a few Albins on the GSB. I don't think anyone in this forum though. I have my Albin cards handy to give to possible new members, but haven't had a chance to give any out. I need a card launching system to get them to the other Albins on the hook! (he he he)

Well, after spending some $$$ on the new dripless seal shaft and overhaul of the Peninsular (nothing wrong) since it was out of the box I got alot of hoses and parts replaced - preventive maintenance, I find she's running pretty good. Knock on wood!

Midsummer projects: Replacing anchor rode and chain, soon to replace the gipsy on my Horizon 500. (Must order from West Marine this weekend).
I will be replacing my electronics very shortly also. I discovered my old Raytheon has died over the winter. Installing Raytheon E80, new radar, new gps, VHF and Floscan.

2007 is the year of the money drop :roll: but it's all been overdue.

Well, gotta go back to work right now. Been busy busy busy. Gotta pay for the new stuff coming!

Hope your beer is well chilled, your fuel tank is full and you have been out on your boat more than last year!

Cheers!

Gery Garcia
Resolution 1994 TE
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Resolution mid-summer check in

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

gerygarcia wrote:

Seen a few Albins on the GSB. I don't think anyone in this forum though. I have my Albin cards handy to give to possible new members, but haven't had a chance to give any out. I need a card launching system to get them to the other Albins on the hook! (he he he)

Resolution 1994 TE
All great places to anchor Gery! Are you anchoring at Gilgo (or W. Gilgo / Coast Guard Cut)? Hemlock is my personal favorite - especially during the week.

Keep an eye out for the EA - though I still haven't flown the burgee. If I'm not on it my old man definitely is. As far a a launching system goes - maybe a potato launcher will work - we can fashion the potato to a parachute or something ;)

Good luck with the summer projects - when I was up a few weeks ago I had some things I wanted to do bbut never got around to getting the started :(

Enjoy the rest of summer!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Gery,
I know what you mean about the board being quiet. We have alot of new members but I guess they are all shy. <smile>
This has been an expensive summer but not for Afterglow. The Airstream has been a money pit. Generators, chargers, battery, refrigerator, etc. Talk about "break out another thousand". Veebyes was right.
My only expense for the boat has been the new batteries. I ended up buying Odessey batteries. Not cheap, but hopefully will last many years.

Our cruises have been short so far this year. Hart-Miller, Middle River, Fairlee, Whorton, Maxwell Point. All the usual places but nothing new. We are going to a raft-up in August. (see the cruising forum) There is a full moon this weekend so tonight will be a moonlight cruise.

I was going to add the autopilot this year but just don't have the cash on hand. Next year will be the electronics upgrades for me.

Rockfish is running in the upper bay now so maybe we'll get out this weekend for that too.

I hope everyone else is having a good season!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Resolution mid-summer check in

Post by gerygarcia »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:
gerygarcia wrote:

Resolution 1994 TE
All great places to anchor Gery! Are you anchoring at Gilgo (or W. Gilgo / Coast Guard Cut)? Hemlock is my personal favorite - especially during the week.

Keep an eye out for the EA - though I still haven't flown the burgee. If I'm not on it my old man definitely is. As far a a launching system goes - maybe a potato launcher will work - we can fashion the potato to a parachute or something ;)

Good luck with the summer projects - when I was up a few weeks ago I had some things I wanted to do bbut never got around to getting the started :(

Enjoy the rest of summer!
Hi EA
Will be looking for you around and about. I think the place I was talking about is just east of Hemlock. Pretty deep water hole. Nice and quiet there and only 15 min from our dock.

Gery
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

jcollins wrote:Gery,
I know what you mean about the board being quiet. We have alot of new members but I guess they are all shy. <smile>
This has been an expensive summer but not for Afterglow. The Airstream has been a money pit. Generators, chargers, battery, refrigerator, etc. Talk about "break out another thousand". Veebyes was right.
My only expense for the boat has been the new batteries. I ended up buying Odessey batteries. Not cheap, but hopefully will last many years.

Our cruises have been short so far this year. Hart-Miller, Middle River, Fairlee, Whorton, Maxwell Point. All the usual places but nothing new. We are going to a raft-up in August. (see the cruising forum) There is a full moon this weekend so tonight will be a moonlight cruise.

I was going to add the autopilot this year but just don't have the cash on hand. Next year will be the electronics upgrades for me.

Rockfish is running in the upper bay now so maybe we'll get out this weekend for that too.

I hope everyone else is having a good season!
Hey John

I know what you mean about "other projects". I have been addicted to modding my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's my land toy :D

Here is a pic on the land lubber side of sore thumb Fire Island earlier this year
Here is a close up shot at Rausch Creek PA taken recently

You know the saying "Boys and their toys"

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Gery
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Good to hear the boat has been running well. I have also been running around the Great South Bay, have been on 2 overnights at Watch Hill, done several Fluke trips out by the FI lighthouse (not keeping too many with a 19.5" limit though) and several runs to bars and restaurants. I have only seen 1 other 28 Albin with a blue hull (not yours though Gery). I am keeping the lookout for you and EA !
I see the postings have slowed down with everyone being out (but I guess that means were using the boats and thats a good thing).

Gery, nice looking truck... when I had my Jeep years ago I got the state and county 4 wheel drive passes and spent alot of time at Demo, Sore thumb and Smiths point. Very fun and a whole lot less work than owning a boat.

Let me know what your plans are for Block, I feel reel comfortable with the boat now and will check in with the boss :lol:

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Hi Matt

I believe we'll be heading out to BI on Friday August 31st staying till Monday Sept 3rd.
If your interested, let me know. You might want to check Block Island Boat Basin to see if they have slips available. The other option would be Champlains, but that might be a zoo (they raft up boats 3-5 wide)

Haven't been to Watch Hill. Just don't see spending $50/day to sit on my boat anyway :roll: but I'm sure I'll get around to it. Probably

Let me know if you are going out on the bay in the next couple weeks. Maybe we can meet up.

Same to you EA or anyone on the Great South Bay!

Yes, owning a truck is alot cheaper than a boat. I have been having fun with it.
When the boat is layed up on the hard, It's going to be my outlet for adventure!
Will be keeping it for a long time. Just love it, maybe even more than my Albin - hey its much cheaper fun and just as exciting. Too bad I can't sleep in it easily as my 28TE!
I also used to own a Jeep Wrangler back in the day. Had lots of fun with that as well.
Buying the FJ Cruiser has been a walk down memory lane to all the fun I had in high school and college. Need just as much skill four wheeling as you do riding the ocean in my opinion.

Gery
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Gery,

Who's is the blue one in the background on the first pic. Please tell me you and your wife have matching vehicles ;)

mhanna - the 19.5" limit sucks. Watch out though.....it's probably gonna go up again next year based on what I hear from friends in southeast fishery services and speak to their counterparts in the atlantic region.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:Hey Gery,

Who's is the blue one in the background on the first pic. Please tell me you and your wife have matching vehicles ;)

mhanna - the 19.5" limit sucks. Watch out though.....it's probably gonna go up again next year based on what I hear from friends in southeast fishery services and speak to their counterparts in the atlantic region.
No, that's a friend from a fjcruiser forum website. :wink:
She's an uptown girl driving a uptown SUV. LOL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Gery!

I thought Kathy and I might make it back to BI for your Labor Day visit but it's not looking like we'll be able to make it. (Plus I hear that getting a slip is VERY hard this close to the date)

Still hoping we get a chance to connect some time. Do you ever make it into the Sound? I'll be spending an evening in Cold Spring Harbor this weekend when I commute by boat to visit my brother for my niece's birthday.

Have a great summer!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

DougSea wrote:Hey Gery!

I thought Kathy and I might make it back to BI for your Labor Day visit but it's not looking like we'll be able to make it. (Plus I hear that getting a slip is VERY hard this close to the date)

Still hoping we get a chance to connect some time. Do you ever make it into the Sound? I'll be spending an evening in Cold Spring Harbor this weekend when I commute by boat to visit my brother for my niece's birthday.

Have a great summer!!
Hi Doug

Hope your summer is going well! Too bad about Block Island. Maybe next rendezvous!

We haven't cruised the Sound in the last couple of years. We'll talk about it over the winter what our future trips will be.

We are definately planning on going to the next rendezvous.
Still sad about not being able to go to this years.

We have a little one on the way (due early December) so it may keep us on the local, but a trip to 3 mile harbor or Essex CT locale would not be out of the question :D
We'll see how it goes! Baby steps. (The baby will have her sea legs before land legs!)

Gery
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

electronics replacement

Post by fairtide »

Gery Garcia's updates included replacing electronics and that reminded me of a question that I forgot to ask. I have a new Raymarine A65 display that is working well. One of the notes from the manufacturer states that the storage temperature of the unit is 14 deg. F to some upper limit that I don't expect to subject the thing to. As the outdoor temps do fall below 14 deg in many of the regions of the country that we live in, have any of you had problems with electronics that have been stored in temps that have been lower than the figure mentioned?
My instruments are not easily removeable, so taking them home for the winter is not an option.
Thanks for any hints.
Fair Tide
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Up here, temperatures below 14 degrees are not common. When they do hit, it's usually just an overnight low and stays in the teens. Such a cold snap will only last a few days and only happens every few years.

I've never seen an LCD destroyed or damaged by cold here. I have, however, seen them damaged by sun.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: electronics replacement

Post by gerygarcia »

fairtide wrote:Gery Garcia's updates included replacing electronics and that reminded me of a question that I forgot to ask. I have a new Raymarine A65 display that is working well. One of the notes from the manufacturer states that the storage temperature of the unit is 14 deg. F to some upper limit that I don't expect to subject the thing to. As the outdoor temps do fall below 14 deg in many of the regions of the country that we live in, have any of you had problems with electronics that have been stored in temps that have been lower than the figure mentioned?
My instruments are not easily removeable, so taking them home for the winter is not an option.
Thanks for any hints.
Fair Tide
Fair Tide

In my experiences (going back since boating with my father 25+ yrs), it does more damage than good to remove electronics during layup that are difficult to remove (built in box or custom configuration). If they are easy to remove, do so. If your electronics are not exposed to the elements (In the pilot house) they are pretty protected and probably shouldn't be removed (in my opinion). I have had the experience ONCE where the LCD screen cracked, but I am not sure if it was due to cold temperature.

If you are worried about temperature swings, it may be as simple as putting a heavy drop cloth over your instrument panels to help insulate from extreme temp shifts that may cause glass cracking.

Gery
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Just wanted to post a picture of Resolutions new electronics. Had time to upload to photobucket. These were in the digital camera for a while.
Raymarine E80 and a ICOM M304. Both units are great. Also new radar dome.
The handset for the VHF run through to the consol, left of wheel.
Space above VHF for future floscan. Probably in the spring.
We used the existing electronics box (custom made from previous owner)

All worked well for our trip to Block Island on labor day weeked.
Really didn't need the radar though.

Our trip back was pretty rough going. Eventually made it back all the way to Amityville. Felt like running a marathon by the time we got home. Here are some pics of the trip.
Stayed at Block Island Boat basin. Only other Albin was a command bridge model.
I gave them a AOG business card! The said they would check it out.
There were other A28s moored. The weather there was fantastic!

Robert Moses Bridge going east

Lighthouse leaving Shelter Island

Block Island Entrance

The line of boats on Monday morning looking to leave. It was like a traffic jam

Hope you are enjoying the rest of the boating season!
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.

Return to “General Discussion”